SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
First String
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PIRATES BIGHT AT NORMAN ISLAND REOPENS AFTER “MAKE OVER”

Is this place open now? e are headding down the week of the 14th-the 21st.
We may go here for out first night instead of T-Willys?

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
We did not go this winter (we did last winter) and were saddened to hear of the fire. I understand they constructed a temporary facility almost immediately, so it should be open, even if not permanent yet. It would not surprise me, if reconstruction was permanent, however.

The original beach shack was a toss up with Willy T's IMO, but the new place was so good, I really think it was putting a hurt to WTs.

Does the same guy own WTs? He owns the entire island, but have a suspicion he doesn't own his competition. Not sure. I wonder if WTs had matches aboard? :)

·
S/V "MACKINAC"
40 Posts
We were there this December(2013). They had a temporary bar/restaurant open to the left of the original building. The temporary ( now permanent) bar was wonderful. A real improvement ( not to say we didn't have fun many days at Pirates in the past).(that I can remember)
I do see where they have opened the new restaurant...I haven't seen it but if anything like the new bar it will be sure to please.
Have fun and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Last month the construction process wasn't far beyond foundation and scaffolding, so I do not think that the new Pirate's is open; but the temporary restaurant and bar is superior to most watering holes in the BVI and I had a very tasty dinner there. It is worth visiting in any case.

·
S/V "MACKINAC"
40 Posts
From the pictures I see on the Internet and the "scuttlebutt" on other web sites ( hope that doesn't break posting rules of GUIs site) there is definitely a new Pirates on Norman Island.
It IS beautiful ... Can't wait to get back there

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Ya know of course that Willie T's - the T's did not stand for 'thorton's, It stood for the t-shirt you earned when you showed your T's.

Good to see I can get a 13 dollar cheeseburger again.

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
I don't remember seeing a parrot two years ago. I wasn't looking for one, but I certainly don't remember one being there.

Of course, I might have been slightly impaired.

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
Bring as little as possible. Nothing formal needed. Being a New England lobster guy, the southern lobsters do nothing for me. I skip them. However, restaurants are a bit pricey, no way around it. Eat some on the boat and some on shore. Who are you chartering with?

Tip on Ferry over from St Thomas. Be up and standing next to the door you came in, long before it lands in Road Town. If you are at the end of the customs line, it will take forever!

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
...Tip on Ferry over from St Thomas. Be up and standing next to the door you came in, long before it lands in Road Town. If you are at the end of the customs line, it will take forever!
Are you saying that they mark that bags that they received tips for, and unload those first? Last time I tipped at the destination rather at departure, which might explain why my bags were so late getting off the boat. I'm just accustomed to tipping after service is rendered, not before. We were at the very end of the customs/immigration line. :mad:

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
Are you saying that they mark that bags that they received tips for, and unload those first? Last time I tipped at the destination rather at departure, which might explain why my bags were so late getting off the boat. I'm just accustomed to tipping after service is rendered, not before. We were at the very end of the customs/immigration line. :mad:
No, I was giving a tip (be at the front of the line to get off the boat) not suggesting you tip anyone.

Your bags go off the boat without you. You first get in the customs building, then pick your bag out of a sea of luggage.

Brings me to another tip. I always carry on the airplane, so there is no chance I lose luggage or miss a ferry waiting for checked luggage. If that's all you have, you can carry it aboard the ferry, but the luggage guy will be all over you at St T to have him take it for you in the hot sun, while he is looking for a gratuity to do it. This tip has nothing to do with saving money, it's just nerve wracking to lose track of your luggage in a third world country, especially if there is anything of value within.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts