SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
"The rounds impacted the water approximately 20 meters from the closest boat and resulted in both small boats ending their pursuit. All shots were accounted for as they entered the water."

Let me get this straight. Somali Pirates attacked a U.S. Navel vessel and the Navy counted the rounds they used that entered the water? Then they allowed the pirates to leave the area and attack other ships on another day? WTF! No wonder the piracy is not stopping.

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts
"The rounds impacted the water approximately 20 meters from the closest boat and resulted in both small boats ending their pursuit. All shots were accounted for as they entered the water."

Let me get this straight. Somali Pirates attacked a U.S. Navel vessel and the Navy counted the rounds they used that entered the water? Then they allowed the pirates to leave the area and attack other ships on another day? WTF! No wonder the piracy is not stopping.
The "pirates" never fired at the ship. They never actually attacked the ship. The security team fired warning shots to keep them from getting any closer. The appropriate actions were taken, for what was NOT clearly an attack.

Reactions: jimkyle99

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
The "pirates" never fired at the ship. They never actually attacked the ship. The security team fired warning shots to keep them from getting any closer. The appropriate actions were taken, for what was NOT clearly an attack.
Yup, no shortage of potentially false assumptions to be drawn from such a poorly written account. Classic case of a misleading headline, at the very least, one that is contradicted, or at least called into question, within the body of the story...

Was there something about pirates in that news report....all I saw was Jeffrey's Bay....one of the top point breaks in the world...maybe someday I'll get there.
Perhaps news from the outside world will someday get to Jeffrey's Bay in a bit more timely fashion, as well...

This alleged "Pirate Attack" on the USNS JOHN LENTHALL occurred more than SIX YEARS AGO...

:))

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=40003

·
Don't call me a "senior"!
968 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,220 Posts

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
The original article has today's date. If the event is indeed six years old, I'm tempted to leave a comment at the bottom of the article.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts