SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ben over at Panbo.com wrote up an interesting blog on the mandated use of AIS and how it could be used by the Somoli pirates. An interesting read considering:

1. The argument that millions of square miles of ocean surrounding the area can not be controlled (if it is that vast then how are the pirates getting their intel?)

2. Possibly demonstrates that the perception these are just lucky, brute force "pirates" and personally think they should be treated as well educated terrorists.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I haven't seen the other discussion, but I do know that the rules mandating use of AIS also provide that it can be disabled at the master's discretion, for any reason.

·
the pointy end is the bow
6,265 Posts
Even if you're not allowed to disable it as John mentioned, perhaps more ships will have problems with the AIS functioning properly while in suspect waters. Why make it easy for the bad guys?

What I'm wondering about is how the insurance companies are going to respond to the very public threats to kill American crew. The insurance companies are in a bad spot now. They limited armed security on their boats because they feared an escalation and a loss. I don't see how they can refuse armed security now. I think a jury would find it negligent if a crew gets hurt or injured as a result. I think the rules have just changed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts