SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally got down to The Gulf Coast to check out locations for our retirement. Not many options for a boat we plan on getting which is about 40’ with a 5 maybe 6 feet draw. We’ve narrowed it down to Gasparilla Marina in Placida or Fishermen’s Village in Punta Gorda (waiting list). Twin Dolphin in Bradenton is a third option but we’re not sure we want to live in Bradenton. St Pete’s was the most expensive so we’ve eliminated that. Any experience or thoughts are appreciated!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
5 or 6 miles to get to deep water from Placida. Probably 2 hours from the time you get to the marina till you raise the main. Punta Gorda on the other hand has deep water.... Charlotte Harbor.
My choice closer to Tampa would be Apollo Beach but not sure what the marina situation is like there anymore. Lots of condos with boat slips though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5 or 6 miles to get to deep water from Placida. Probably 2 hours from the time you get to the marina till you raise the main. Punta Gorda on the other hand has deep water.... Charlotte Harbor.
My choice closer to Tampa would be Apollo Beach but not sure what the marina situation is like there anymore. Lots of condos with boat slips though.
Thanks I will check out Apollo Beach. Can you clarify your 2 hour comment about Placida? We thought it’s one hour before you’re in open gulf water from Gasparilla Marina, and 2 hours from Fishville in Punta Gorda. Yes, am aware Charlotte Harbor has deep water sailing as long as you know the areas to stay away from. Thanks!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Apollo beach has Lands End Marina which is pretty decent. Some friends there drawing 5 feet are constantly worried about the tides. I think they might be a bit paranoid but something to consider.

I'd go with Punta Gorda over Placidia. At least you could daysail in Gasparilla Sound without an hour or so of motoring on each end.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thanks I will check out Apollo Beach. Can you clarify your 2 hour comment about Placida? We thought it’s one hour before you’re in open gulf water from Gasparilla Marina, and 2 hours from Fishville in Punta Gorda. Yes, am aware Charlotte Harbor has deep water sailing as long as you know the areas to stay away from. Thanks!
I suppose I should have clarified. I have a tendency sometimes to opt for brevity. What I was referring to included getting the boat ready and getting out of the fairway and into the ICW and I was speaking of my typical experience. You may be able to do that in 15 minutes which would put you at an hour and 15 minutes to open water.
As a side note regarding Apollo Beach, I checked Zillow for condos with slips and apparently that market has dried up since the last time I was looking. My daughter has been campaigning for some time for me to move closer to Tampa and I have watched that market on and off for some time now but I'm old and contrary and accustomed to the LA lifestyle. (LA refers to Lower Alabama) also known as the ******* Riviera but if things keep going the way they are I'm going to be priced out of this little haven for heathens.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Not to worry! We're dumping toxic waste into the bay again. Waterfront inventory is sure to skyrocket!
The prices will probably skyrocket as well...... The realtors will say " Yes but the radioactive phosphogypsum gives the water a spectacular luminescence"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apollo beach has Lands End Marina which is pretty decent. Some friends there drawing 5 feet are constantly worried about the tides. I think they might be a bit paranoid but something to consider.

I'd go with Punta Gorda over Placidia. At least you could daysail in Gasparilla Sound without an hour or so of motoring on each end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suppose I should have clarified. I have a tendency sometimes to opt for brevity. What I was referring to included getting the boat ready and getting out of the fairway and into the ICW and I was speaking of my typical experience. You may be able to do that in 15 minutes which would put you at an hour and 15 minutes to open water.
As a side note regarding Apollo Beach, I checked Zillow for condos with slips and apparently that market has dried up since the last time I was looking. My daughter has been campaigning for some time for me to move closer to Tampa and I have watched that market on and off for some time now but I'm old and contrary and accustomed to the LA lifestyle. (LA refers to Lower Alabama) also known as the *** Riviera but if things keep going the way they are I'm going to be priced out of this little haven for heathens.
Thank you. Yes, now I understand as we were thinking an hour and 15. I really like the idea of biking to the Boca Grande beaches from Placida and just biking on the trails there in general so if it wasn’t for me my husband would choose Punta Gorda.
Our experience has been that the housing and boating marked has skyrocketed and so we are going to wait a year until we buy. At least we hope the boating market will soften when all these people who bought bought a because of covid start to sell them when they realize how much work and expense they are.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts