SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am blessed with access to several boats. Some I can sail just about any time I want to. I'm thinking however that as an insurance policy I would like to get a "Plan C" boat. The idea is that if my friends fall through or I'm in the process of buying or selling a bigger boat I would like to have something tucked away that I could pop in the water and not miss a chunk of our short New England season.

Now of course you are going to say. What do you have in mind? How much do you want to spend, how many people etc. Well since this is just an emergency boat there are few real deal breakers.

The following is my wish list. I know I'm not going to get everything probably not more that 50% but that's part of the fun.
  • Fast (This is the least likely to happen since I want a small boat with room inside)
  • Headroom (5' 6") Not absolutely necessary but my wife claims she will no go on a boat she can not stand up in. But she may change her mind. PoP Top?
  • Enclosed head (Wife again) Again she may not be using the boat much.
  • Tailorable and truck launch-able (This is actually the biggest plus as I could just park it in my backyard and forget about it unless it was needed)
  • Tiller, Wheel (don't care)
  • How may people to sleep (Two max)
  • Usage (Long Island Sound day sail with a couple, overnight camping 2 maybe 4 nights in my wildest dreams. (My dreams are rather tame)
  • Price (I may not splash this boat for a whole season so I want to keep yearly costs to a minimum. So I will probably not pay for insurance. I have a place to put it on a mooring so that will not cost much. So I don't want to spend more than I'm willing to loose, maybe 9,000 but who knows for the right boat?
  • Size (Probably 23' to 28'.
So what do you figure are some good options?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
The Telstar 28 would fit most of your requirements... :)

I am blessed with access to several boats. Some I can sail just about any time I want to. I'm thinking however that as an insurance policy I would like to get a "Plan C" boat. The idea is that if my friends fall through or I'm in the process of buying or selling a bigger boat I would like to have something tucked away that I could pop in the water and not miss a chunk of our short New England season.

Now of course you are going to say. What do you have in mind? How much do you want to spend, how many people etc. Well since this is just an emergency boat there are few real deal breakers.

The following is my wish list. I know I'm not going to get everything probably not more that 50% but that's part of the fun.
  • Fast (This is the least likely to happen since I want a small boat with room inside)
It's a trimaran and mine sails at 9-12 knots regularly, far faster than a monohull of the same LOA.
  • Headroom (5' 6") Not absolutely necessary but my wife claims she will no go on a boat she can not stand up in. But she may change her mind. PoP Top?
Headroom is 6' throughout most of the cabin
  • Enclosed head (Wife again) Again she may not be using the boat much.
Head is forward and can be closed off using a curtain.
  • Tailorable and truck launch-able (This is actually the biggest plus as I could just park it in my backyard and forget about it unless it was needed)
Trailerable, and does not require a wide load permit in most states as the boat folds to 8' 6" wide.
  • Tiller, Wheel (don't care)
Tiller steered.
  • How may people to sleep (Two max)
Sleeps three pretty comfortably—starboard side turns into double berth, port side is a single.
  • Usage (Long Island Sound day sail with a couple, overnight camping 2 maybe 4 nights in my wildest dreams. (My dreams are rather tame)
Longest trip taken in one so far has been 3500 nm, from St. Pete, FL, through the Caribbean, to Guatemala and Honduras. So, it should handle a week-long trip and daysailing quite well. Also, unlike many trailerable boats, the Telstar has a full galley, with optional refrigerator and a full head with holding tank.
  • Price (I may not splash this boat for a whole season so I want to keep yearly costs to a minimum. So I will probably not pay for insurance. I have a place to put it on a mooring so that will not cost much. So I don't want to spend more than I'm willing to loose, maybe 9,000 but who knows for the right boat?
Not gonna happen... :)
  • Size (Probably 23' to 28'.
So what do you figure are some good options?
It's 27' 6" LOA... However, since the boat is fairly new, you're not going to find one in that price range. :)

Most of the other boats that are small and trailerable, are going to be considerably smaller, have a much more difficult mast raising system, and be much slower. :)

Here's a video of my boat out during a SCA... :)

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Cool video Dog,

btw, who was that guy who went forward without a PDF or restaint ???? I know that wasn't you, cuz you wouldn't set such a bad example :D

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Do as I say, not do as I do... :)

Besides, it wasn't that bad out.. only 25-30 knots, gusting up to 35, and 7-9' seas... :) relatively calm by all accounts. If I were on a tippy leadmine, I would have been tethered in and wearing a PFD...

Funniest comment of the day was when Kate said, "Hey, I think I just got sprayed"... after we had been out in those conditions for almost two hours. I pointed out that on her father's monohull, we would have been in full foul weather gear and soaked before we got the sails up. :)

Cool video Dog,

btw, who was that guy who went forward without a PDF or restaint ???? I know that wasn't you, cuz you wouldn't set such a bad example :D

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
david,

This boat doesn't fit all your requirements. But I just thought I'd mention it, as a possible low-cost option:

Quickstep 24

Another one that comes to mind, that would be more performance oriented is the Beneteau First 235, or the pricier First 24.

Just some suggestions for comparison purposes...

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Don't mean to be negative, but I thought I read that one of the OP's requirements was "Trailerable" and "Launch-able" with his truck.

I might be wrong, But the only suggestion I see so far that meets this requirement is the Telstar.

Than again, we don't know how high a priority "Trailerable" is.
Maybe some more feedback from the OP is necessary.

David, how high of a priority is Trailerable?
I would think that this would have an impact on what boats would be suggested.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Don't mean to be negative, but I thought I read that one of the OP's requirements was "Trailerable" and "Launch-able" with his truck.

I might be wrong, But the only suggestion I see so far that meets this requirement is the Telstar.

Than again, we don't know how high a priority "Trailerable" is.
Maybe some more feedback from the OP is necessary.

Sorry, I read his requirements a bit differently. He mentioned that he didn't really expect to meet anymore than 50% of them. When I read it, I took "truck launchable" to mean that he could store in his yard and have it launched by a local hydraulic hauler if not be himself. But you're probably right that he wants to tow it himself.

I think the Telstar, while trailerable, is a bit beyond his $9K price range! :D

·
Montgomery 17
384 Posts
Those little Bene's are awsome, I love them. But it may be tough to find one for under 9k.

There really aren't many trailerables out there with standing headroom (not counting the pop top) and under 9k. Not yet at least. You may be able to find one of the first Macgregor 25x's but I don't think many people on this forum would recommend one, I know I wouldn't.

Maybe look at an O'day 25, I think they have pretty good standing headroom. They are pretty "big" inside. Enclosed head too.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Sorry, I read his requirements a bit differently. He mentioned that he didn't really expect to meet anymore than 50% of them.
John,
Isn't it funny how we all perceive things differnetly.
Thats why I think we still need more feed back, like how important is each of the requirements.
And your right, a quick check on Yacht World shows the Telstar a bit out of his range.
Keep up the good work, you guys are all right in my book.:cool:

And I agree with this statement from Perit, that was my first gut reaction as well.
There really aren't many trailerables out there with standing headroom (not counting the pop top)

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for noticing Sailor.
I have access to other larger boats with fun crews. So this boat would be a luxury on top of a luxury. So that being said, tailorable and self launch-able makes it less of burden if it sits in the backyard and doesn't get used much.

That being said I will check into each of the recommendations because based on my experience it seems folks seldom wind up with the boat they are looking for. I know a guy that was looking for a 30' and bought a 51' just last season, You know who you are.:D

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
5'6" is not usually considered standing headroom and a pop top is OK.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have owned a San Juan 23 for several years. They were built in the pacific northwest to sail around the islands in the Puget Sound area. I know of one person who sails his in the Sea of Cortez. It has an encapsulated shoal keel with a centerboard. The centerboard is housed in the keel so there is no trunk in the cabin (there is actually no bilge either) so headroom is good for a small boat. My wife is 5'3" and can stand. It is a very large cabin for a small boat with 7 foot settees on both sides of the cabin and a very large v-berth. The porta potti is forward of the bulkheads, some have floor to ceiling bulkheads which helps close it off. My bulkheads are partial so we use a curtain. It has a small cockpit with a bridgedeck and traveller. Pretty fast, I do well in handicap racing.

I have heard Chrysler 22s also have pretty good space inside but they are a swing keel so you are cranking up a heavy keel to trailer, etc.

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
S2 made a number of boats that might fit your needs, esp. the 7.9. With vertically-lifting keels, the interior has a partition that is one wall of an enclosed head -- rare in boats that size. Standing/hunching headroom for short people, minimalist salon, and above-average performance on all points of sail. Asking price often $11-12k (popular among PHRF racers), but I bet you could get one under $9k. Parts easily available; I believe there is enuf demand they just started making new boats!

Sailnet thread here.

Pix of various 7.9s here.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Yeah, I was kinda looking at what met his scope and was sitting on a trailer or could be trailered with a full size (1ton) pickup

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
JRP—

He did say:

Price (I may not splash this boat for a whole season so I want to keep yearly costs to a minimum. So I will probably not pay for insurance. I have a place to put it on a mooring so that will not cost much. So I don't want to spend more than I'm willing to loose, maybe 9,000 but who knows for the right boat?
And it does meet all the other criteria... not many trailerable boats are able to do 12 knots sailing... while having 6' of standing headroom throughout most of the cabin, a full galley, head and can handle a multi-day cruise. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts