SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody figured out a way to keep these plastic 3 way valves operating smoothly? I just can not get them to work properly and after a few months of infrequent use, they freeze up. Tried lubing with teflon grease, silicon grease, all to no avail. Loosening the screws helps, but then they leak. Color me frustrated; these valves are not inexpensive.

Attachments

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,833 Posts
I had the same valve for selecting from the port or starboard fresh water tank. I also had the same frustration.

I replaced the damn thing with the following; three PVC valves, three PVC "T" fittings, four PVC barb adapters, and some ½" PVC. I connected the three "T" fittings to make a manifold, the output of which went to my H20 pressure pump, and put a barb on each opening. I really only needed two "T"s and three barbs, but I added the third to help when winterizing, or to prime the system. I can now select EITHER tank, or BOTH tanks, or to draw from whatever I connect to the third valve (scotch has been suggested on more than one occasion).

·
Master Mariner
9,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I've found some nice s/s three way valves at about the same price (industrial food service not marine) to replace them, but those plastic ones were quite expensive and I thought if someone had found the secret to keeping them working, I might use them somewhere else.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,833 Posts
The Bosworth three way valves also have rubber seals (O ring #220 or #222 +#BU222). If alcohol (isopropyl, methel, or ethel) is used to winterize, it will eat the rubber, and they'll leak - again. This is not an issue with the PVC valves and manifold (which also cost ~$20).

·
Registered
214 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
3 way and 4 way valves are always subject to cross-port leakage upon 'any' wear of the sealing surfaces. This applies to all materials of construction - metal & 'plastic'.

White74 is correct: use tees, etc. and 3 straight, simple valves ... if you want 'tight'.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have had a Forespar and a Jabsco in my waste system for 10 years. They still work fine. Need exercise once a month or so but I am beyond 3 miles pretty regularly so most often pump out outside & therefore work the valves. Greased the Forespar this year. Jabsco says just work it baby work it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
i would change them out to a tee with 3 valves
why anyone would use plastic on sewage valve is beyond me
25+ years ago, that's what boats came with. I've got one and had to R&R and dissassemble it. After going through all that, I left the handle off and closed the sea cocks - have to use the holding tank, no need to replace everything. But if I could use it, I'd definitely be swapping it out for marine brass valves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.