SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a question for you smart sailors, so around the club and other places, ive noticed small sailing dinghy, and hobies are being made out some plastic materiel, I get that ya drag it up on the ramp and beach wont hurt It as much as fiberglass but how do you repair them if they do get a hole, fiberglass, I think il just still with fiberglass

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
There are plastic welding products made to repair rotomolded boats. The process is pretty easy. Search for "repair rotomolded kayak" and you'll find tons of articles on this.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Ive got a question for you smart sailors, so around the club and other places, ive noticed small sailing dinghy, and hobies are being made out some plastic materiel, I get that ya drag it up on the ramp and beach wont hurt It as much as fiberglass but how do you repair them if they do get a hole, fiberglass, I think il just still with fiberglass
These are most likely Polyethylene hulls and they are not at all easy to repair with regular fiberglass (even when using fabric) or any 'plastic weld' products.
The main 2 problems are: lack of adhesion (PE is very slippery), and flexibility (PE is flexible and fiberglass is not). You will need special surface preparation and special resin, like G/Flex already mentioned.
A good article here: WEST SYSTEM | Gluing plastic with G/flex Epoxy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts