SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Todd console recently and after 4 months exposure to the elements (not covered) it's developped what looks like a mold growth- small black spots that seem to be just under the surface.
I've tried marine cleaners, bleach, bar keepers friend among other abrasive products to remove it but it doesn't seem to touch it.
Anyone have any ideas how to remove it?:confused:

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Probably "artillery fungus" a fungus that thrives in wet/humid conditions. Also attaches to sails, etc. The fungus penetrates into the 'pores' of the gelcoat and thats why you have a hard time 'cleaning' it off.

Best way to get rid of it is DISSOLVE the cells by usage of a strong caustic detergent. Sodium Silicate based detergents work best, followed by trisodiumphosphate (TSP), etc. Such wont harm the gelcoat but will totally strip out any wax that you applied; the boat will need to be rewaxed after a 'soak' of strong caustic detergents.

Apply the strong detergent, let it soak; you may need to apply then cover with some thin plastic sheeting as it may take some 'soak time' for the caustic to dissolve all the fungal filaments that have penetrated into the gelcoat.

Any shadows or discoloration remaining after the soak .... get some oxalic acid (wood bleach) from a paint store. Put the crystals in a bucket and add 'just enough' water to dissolve 'most' of the crystals and apply the mix to the staining. Dont mix caustic with oxalic .... rinse thoroughly between the caustic and oxalic applications.

:)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info ! This product is manufactured from rotationally molded plastic rather than GRP.

toddusa.com/productdetails.aspx?id=37]Todd Center Console Package[/url]

Do you think it's safe to use the caustic and oxalic applications on this or would I end up with a ball of molten plastic?;)

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Rotamolded ..... then the black specs are essentially permanent !!!!

This a generic and widespread problem with rotamolded polyethylene that is very common when funguses, etc. penetrate very deeply into the polyethylene ... and cant be removed because they are now deeply penetrated INTO the plastic. Polyethylene is very resistant to most all inorganic chemicals and most organic chemicals so the risk of turning your component into a ball of molten plastic is very low.

Especially white and yellow rotomolded Kayaks, etc. especially those that are stored 'outdoors' are prone to this. Since your console is rotamolded, I would advise to contact the manufacturer for their advice and possible replacement, etc. --- sorry.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks again for the advice- I've been speaking with the manufacturer and it sounds like they may replace it under warranty.
I imagine the new one will be prone to the same problem so I'll try and keep it covered over and as dry as possible.
Sounds like a poor choice of material for a product that's designed to sit outside, exposed to the elements though !

·
Registered
360 Posts
Mr Cleans, "Magic Eraser" heavy duty may take it off.

These things are great for taking out any deep stains.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts