SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the Plastimo battery powered solar vents? These seem to be very similar to the Nicro day/night vents, but cost a bunch more. They are only 2 inches high which is nice, but at roughly $350 a pop, I have to wonder if they are made of gold?

The other advantage of them, which is why I was looking, is that they are a tings smaller in diameter than the Nicro...

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Both the Plastimo 31466 and the Nicro 4" vents are rated for 800 cubic feet per hour, so I'd go with the Nicros.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both the Plastimo 31466 and the Nicro 4" vents are rated for 800 cubic feet per hour, so I'd go with the Nicros.
Yeah i agree. I am trying to shoe horn a solar vent into a very tight spot that a passive vent (and therefore smaller vent) was mounted. I may have to close up the hole and make a new one. The Plastimso vent is a little smaller, just enough to fit, but I just can't see spending double.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's a no name item - but they guarantee it.

Send an email to their customer service department and ask. They are just excellent with customer support. They also post their toll free phone number - nice folks to talk to.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Wow, thanks! 4.5in cutout and an 8.5in diameter might just work perfectly. Do you have any idea what brand that is? The web site offers very little info...
Jarcher,
if or when you get a report please post the results.
I'd be interested in what you find out.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Here's another solar vent fan. It's a Sunsei that requires a 4-3/4" hole and sells for $130.

It may be total crap for all I know. They all look flimsy to me.

Amazon.com: Sunsei Solar Vent Stainless Steel Day/Night Solar Powered Vent #70440: Home Improvement

We bought two of these to replace Nicro Day & Night Solar vents in our liveaboard cruising sailboat, a Tayana 37. They move significantly more air and seem to be more sturdily built. I like that they have NiMH rechargeable batteries, instead of Ni-Cads -- they should provide much better service.

HOWEVER, the installation instructions are very poor, as is the installation system in general...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jarcher,
if or when you get a report please post the results.
I'd be interested in what you find out.
Here is what the sent me in response to my request for more information:

Hi Jim

These vents are made by Victory Products they are 8" in diameter and stand about 1-1/2" tall
They require a 4" cutout and are designed to be screwed right to the deck. They are solar powered but have a lithium battery which when charged by the solar panel will allow it to run in the dark. They come with 2 fan blades, one for air exhaust and one for air intake They move about 300 cubic feet per hour
Thanks for the inquiry

Best Regards
Dave
I replied looking for a bit more information, and they replied:

Hi Jim

I will have to measure one of them at the warehouse to confirm the exact size
I wont be able to do that until next week as we are shutting down for the Easter weekend
They cannot be stepped on because the solar panel is on the top and it would break
The vents don’t have a way of closing them off. There is an on/off switch built into the bottom of the vent
They are quite reliable however we have had some returned but it is always because someone has stepped on the solar panel and broken it
I'll let you know the exact size
Thanks again

Best Regards
Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts