SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been for the last 2 weeks trying to help our Sailnet buddie CKgreenman buy a boat, or actually even decide on one.

His budget was $3000.00, with which he wasn't going to buy much, short of a dinghy, a beat up Star, (that he wpould never sail, for sure), and a few really old ugly "old shoes"...he couldn't find anything worth his hard earned money...

His budget is short, and I have recommended him to get a bigger amount and buy a better boat...not so..his wife stopped any spending now..so now even the $3000.00 are a no go

THEN...he told me his wife said, ( a few minutes ago) if they sold the RV they bought to move from California to Charlotte, North Carolina, he could use the money to buy a boat.

SO PLEASE..help a fellow man buy his boat...

Please if you know of someone (appart Cam), that may want, need or help sell that crap car with a house, the money will go towards a boat

HELP THE MAN OUT, BASTRADOS SUJOS

Thanks

all queries about the RV send him a pm

Thanks

Alex

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom..it's serious..he really needs to sell that RV.

No one is asking for contributions...we're just asking here if someone knows somebody that wants to buy the RV

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Too bad he's not nearby. There was a sail-able Shark for sale at our club. I think they were asking $2500 or less for it. It might still be available, but we're up in S.E. Michigan. If we had $2500 and the time to spare, we'd buy it, finish fixing it up, and sail it ourselves. (We could berth her for free at a friend's place right nearby.) We love our P30, but smaller boats are fun in a different way. Plus there's an active one design community for the Shark.

Actually, with the U.S. economy being what it is, I would imagine there are all kinds of deals to be had.

Jim

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Silly Portagee, just because we have a moderator with an RV fetish, doesn't mean that any of use have anything to do with RVs other than that... :) It would help if Ckgreenman gave details on what make and model of RV he has, as well as where it is located.

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dawg...

I didn't think it would be appropriate to discss the details of the RV he has for sale here.

I don't know up to what point that would be abusing the site's rules...after all he is selling it...

My idea, was to basically, see if any one here may have an idea on how to help him sell it, so he could go buy a boat...

The interst is not in selling the RV per se, the interst is buying a boat, using the RV as colateral...

He has it on Craigslist and ebay..I think...we didn't discuss details. That is why I said to conatct him by pm for details

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Ahh... that makes sense... But you're still a silly portagee... :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Stragity

Dawg...

I didn't think it would be appropriate to discss the details of the RV he has for sale here.

I don't know up to what point that would be abusing the site's rules...after all he is selling it...

My idea, was to basically, see if any one here may have an idea on how to help him sell it, so he could go buy a boat...

The interst is not in selling the RV per se, the interst is buying a boat, using the RV as colateral...

He has it on Craigslist and ebay..I think...we didn't discuss details. That is why I said to conatct him by pm for details
If i was on the mid-east coast right now with a RV for sale i would hang on to it untill after Jan20th..till 2nd week in Feb.

Still a good time to buy a boat.Better because the political situation as far as homeowners that have a adjustable rate morgage will be looking for anything to live in...RV is better than the streets me thinks.
My Thoughts
Mark

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
If i was on the mid-east coast right now with a RV for sale i would hang on to it untill after Jan20th..till 2nd week in Feb.

Still a good time to buy a boat.Better because the political situation as far as homeowners that have a adjustable rate morgage will be looking for anything to live in...RV is better than the streets me thinks.
My Thoughts
Mark
Hmm well the way things have been I might not have a choice then to wait :).

I've been trying to sell it on craigslist for the last 4 months. yesterday I listed it on ebay although in hindsight I probably should have waited.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Why doesn't he sale a house and keep RV? :D

Actually there are always good deals on boats. It takes patience and a bit different approach in searching bargain.

In my search for a boat I had my mind set on Freedom Yacht. They were out of my price league, and it took me 5 years to find a fixer upper I was comfortable with.

During these 5 years I found so many boats which can be put back to service with very little effort.

One of the boats I looked at was Alberg 30. It was estate sale. Previous owner died during renovation and estate just needed to get rid of the boat. It looked bad – taken apart with parts lying everywhere, wires hanging, motor was out of the boat. However, more I looked at the boat, more appealing it was – most major jobs were done on it - it needed just putting back together. Then manager said that there is storage locker and we went to check it out. There was set of NEW sails, still in sailmaker’s bag. There were new parts everywhere. New ropes. And our final price was $2500…
I skipped this one; remember, I wanted Freedom.

At one point I drove to nearest marinas and talk to managers. They all have half a dozen abounded boats. There was fully functional Catalina 27 with diesel engine and without any serious flaws; At least I couldn’t find one. Price? - $3000 and we had not started negotiation yet…

While living aboard my newly purchased Freedom and doing necessary repairs I watched at least 5 chained boats got new owners thru Marina’s auction. All five were sailing in couple weeks, and change in appearance was dramatic – from green rusty derelicts into shiny happy boats.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
CrazyRu,

Quote" Why doesn't he sale a house and keep RV? "on quote

There is already one too many RV dwellers lurking on Sailnet.:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have I got a deal for you!!!At Brockville yacht Club there is a Columbia 26 which belongs to a trucker who has no time use it.The deck needs some cosmetic work but is basically sound.He's asking 3000 cdn for it but I'm sure he will take 1000,because he spends more than that every year for club dues and slip fees.With the Cdn dollar at .82 US you can't go wrong.But then it will cost three grand to get it to the Carolinas,and it's not worth that much.
Oh well .I tried.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of boat CK is looking for but, as mentioned earlier, there are a ton of boats out there for under $3000, many in very good condition. As far as I'm concerned, every dollar he spends over that 3K is likely wasted money if all he wants to do is go sailing. All you big boat owners complicate things on the way to justifying the bigger holes in the water you must fill with money. All the fun is happening below your line of sight!

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
Try this site. You will need to register.
Workamper News Forums - View forum - RV's For Sale or Want To Buy
Can't hurt to give it a shot. Are you planning to sail on Lake Norman? Maybe offer the RV as partial trade toward a boat on the lake?
Ok, I'll check it out.

Yes I do plan on sailing Lake Norman initially. I have a slip deeded to my house but the boat lift prevents putting anything but a shoal draft boat in it. My wife isn't quite ready to let go of the stink pot so removing the lift is not an option. Also if I can get the RV sold (and my the new boat comes with a trailer) I can store it in the same place.

·
Anything-Sailing Founder
2,241 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of boat CK is looking for but, as mentioned earlier, there are a ton of boats out there for under $3000, many in very good condition. As far as I'm concerned, every dollar he spends over that 3K is likely wasted money if all he wants to do is go sailing. All you big boat owners complicate things on the way to justifying the bigger holes in the water you must fill with money. All the fun is happening below your line of sight!
I'm pretty much looking for a daysailor/weekender. Something like a C22 or a Cal22. 3000 was the limit I was looking at but even at that level there was a lot of crap. From what I saw, the sweet spot seems to be around $5000.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts