SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am new to posting but far from new to this forum. The time has come, I am buying my first "bigger" boat.

I cannot decide betwen a 1982 San Juan 34 or a 1973 C&C 39.

The C&C is a proven racer and not easy to single hand, while the San Juan is also fast, it is a fair bit more set up for single handed fast cruising. I am new to racing but have many experienced friends and wish to get involved in our local racing scene.

I am from the Puget Sound area so light wind performance is a big plus. I also do plan on living on the boat part time.

As a new user I cannot post links, but the boats are both available at: Marine Service Center in seattle.

Any discussion will be very helpful!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
choices and options

Consider the Crown 34. It came from the same mold as the SJ34 but was better built.
Ah Yup. The SJ was not built to the same standards as the Crown product (or a C&C).
I note that there is a C&C34 for sale in Seattle now, and a Maxi also.
Then there's this deal on another modern classic, up North of you a ways...
E 35II for sale - EY.o Information Exchange

Happy hunting,
L

·
19,489 Posts
The Sceptre 36 is a reworked Crown 34 - another option if that's what you really want. Agree these two are likely better, the older C&C 39 is an interesting, classic boat but I suspect the Crown/Sceptre is a bit more nimble and may well have more space below too. The 39 may not be quite so prone to the typical IOR downwind dance.

The C&C 34 would be rather a different beast from the older 39 - on many levels. Also a nice boat, though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input! Sadly I have looked around and cannot find the crown nor the sceptre in my area, I think my question was more specific to these two boats, if you google marine Servicenter seattle you can see these two boats.
In reality I would prefer the 39, i like its racing pedigree, but the inside is a bit dated and well used, and the equipment has been repaired as needed for the past 40 years, but never completely reworked. The SJ34 on the other hand has more up to date (expensive) equipment. I will do lots of cruising and will be getting more into racing.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would go with the San Juan. There are a few owners you can pm... check out this thread if you haven't. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/48240-san-juan-34-a.html The SJ34 is 10 years newer, still 30 years old but not 40. I personally like my 80's era boat. Like you said too equipment is everything. You can spend 10k just making sure you have the right safety gear, so make sure flare guns, fire extinguishers etc. are all up to date and included. Also electronics and rigging are a big deal. Make sure that it is all upgraded and decent. On my boat the first few sails I broke every single clutch handle because they had not been touched for a few years. $500 later I had new clutches. If the fuller had gone out that would have been $2500. If you discover a winch in bad that could be more. Obviously you are going to have the boat you choose surveyed along with that look at what you are willing to and not willing to spend money on right away. In the end buy the boat you will be happiest on, or the one your wife likes best?

·
Administrator
8,996 Posts
You have described this as being a boat that you would like to race and cruise, but like many IOR boats neither of these are especially good boats for either. These were fast boats for their day and their racing rule, but their day and rule was nearly forty years ago. To be competitive, or even get around a race course safely in a breeze, these are both boats that take very skilled helmsmen and large, strong, skilled crews to race well and which are not very competitive without large (in number), high tech sail inventories. Boats like these lose speed easily but are hard to get back to speed and are a real handful in heavier going.

By the same token, they are not especially good cruising boats (although the C&C 39 is the better of the two) and neither are especially easy boats to sail short handed.

You might want to step back and rethink how you are approaching this. While I doubt that these are the only two convenient boats within your price range in your area at the moment, I would suggest that there is a reason that these boats relatively inexpensive, but if you take a little time to catch yoru breath, you should be able to find better suited designs within your budget that better suit your stated needs.

Respectfully,
Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input!
I should clarify, by race I mean, local beer-can type racing that is more for fun than anything else. By cruise I mean sail up to the san juans for a week max. I know non of these boats are perfect for either, but the last thing I want is a slow boat here in the NW. I read about people with westsails in seattle who rarily get to throw up a sail in the summer months.

I am trying not to get too excited about any particular boat, I am the type of guy who loves to buy :) I mostly want a boat that wont require endless hours of work and money.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You can get late 90's early 2000's hunters in the 30 to 36 foot range for around your price range. Most people have choice words about them but I think they are pretty sweet deals and fun boats. May be worth a look.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
The local SJ 30 and 34's frankly, do fairly well racing when raced well. As do the 24's, 28's, 21's............

Not sure who you are talking with at MSC, but all of the ones I know are very knowledgeable folks. If it were me, not sure which way I would go. I've always had a fondness since a teen growing up in the area for SJ's, especially the 24....Then again, when I finally looked at one, a bit smaller than my teen brain said it was! altho bigger than the 21cb style boat I was used to or my 8' pram!....but C&C's have for what ever reason also a place in my heart for boats.

I can not remember what those are selling for, but there might be some other boats better suited. then again, depending upon price, livability etc...

marty

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I checked out the SJ34 it has 6 foot head room, I am 6'3"...so that is a no go. So any opionions on the C&C 39? How does she sail, is she too old?

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Did you check out that o'day 34 listed with your broker?

I think 39k for the C&C a 70's boat is a big risk. Plus that is going to be a lot of boat for you and a friend. May be fun with 8 guys on a friday evening race at the club but besides that...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi John,

Why do you think it is a risk? It has had the same owner for the past 29 years, he took really good care of the boat, the latest survey says "the boat is very well maintained with pride of owndership eveiden, etc..." He is selling it because he is getting old.

I have not checked out that O'day, I am interested to see that boat, it is at another location so I have to wait for the weekend.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
That being said, with similar parameters, I wound up with one of these:
1988 CS Merlin Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I don't know if this meets your price requirements, but she's been a great boat.

Oh, and you are welcome for muddying the waters for you further! ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have looked at both of these boats, strongly considered taking a look at the 10.7. The engine hours scared me away. Any insight on the C&C 39?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here is a good review on the C&C 39
C&C 39
You have probably read it.

I would say for me the atomic 4 is the big risk, then again I know a lot of people who love there atomic 4's. It all depends what you are trying to do with the boat. If you just want a fun boat I would say go with something for much less money that will match up well with the C&C in motion comfort and capsize ratio... the only sacrifice would be hull speed. Get a diesel engine and a boat at least from the 80's unless you like 70's boats. If you just want to race and occasionally sleep on your boat then I would say go with the C&C because you will hardly ever be using the atomic 4 anyways. If you are looking to cruise more and race for fun a few times a month, any boat can compete in its specif class, so I would go with something a little more cruiser friendly. Not saying full keel, but just a little more family oriented production boat like a Catalina 320 or a Hunter 33. Also this may help you down the line in comparing boats Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2500+ boats
Even if you were looking to go C&C something like this may be ultimately a better purchase... http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2256434&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=75315&url=

Plus you may want to try to find a boat for sale by owner or something that you can talk down the price on, by thousands. The C&C 39 seems like it is priced on the low end but you maybe able to get similar 15 years newer and with better equipment for similar cost. Shipping is also kind of affordable if you can find a boat that you have to have. Either way the survey will tell all, so I would not get hopes up, until after survey then decide, based on repair and upgrade cost.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts