SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Basically, this is to limit the volume/weight of water that the cockpit can contain in the event your boat gets pooped.

JgSteven-

You screwed up your measurements...the units should be CUBIC FEET...not square feet.

I am guessing that your cockpit is 8' long x 4' wide...and the three feet is the height. However, I doubt that is the lowest cockpit coaming level... If the lowest cockpit coaming is 2', the total cockpit volume would be 64 cubic feet, and according to Gui's measurements, you are allowed 55.6 cubic feet, so you'd need to glass in a volume of 8.4 cubic feet. In your cockpit, you could create a bridgedeck expansion locker that was 1.5' x 4' x 1.4' or so.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Glad to help JG. BTW, I did something similar to build the bridgedeck on my boat, and if you want to see the pix, let me know.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Joe-

One guy did a Transpac in a Cal 20. :) As for the bridgedeck, this is what the cockpit looked like to start with:

Notice the companionway has only about a 3" high lip to it.

This is the mockup I did:

This is the finished project:

The inside is still open to the cabin, and the bridgedeck provides about 4.5 cubic feet of storage right next to the galley and companionway. Putting the fresh water deck fill on the angled part of the bridgedeck makes it far less likely to have salt water pooling around it.

The one thing I haven't done is made a new set of companionway steps/ladder for the boat. Still working on making a design that I like.

I hope this helps. :)

Hey George,

I haven't entered anything yet. I would really like to do the Pacific Cup in 2010, however right now I am just trying to understand the regulations and evaluate my boat for 'offshore cruising ability'.

It seems the 2008 Pacific Cup was done by a number of people in what I would consider a very small boat to cross the pacific in (ie: Moore 24, Express 27). I am very interested in going to Hawaii at some point (whether in 2010, or in some future year and future boat) and have been looking into the regs as a good starting place to understand how to make my boat safe offshore.

SailingDog-> I would love to see the pics of your bridgedeck install, if you could post them.

Regards,

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.