SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am trying to understand ISAF Special Reg 3.09.7 on cockpit volume*. The reg states:

"the total volume of all cockpits below lowest coamings shall not exceed 6% (LWL x maximum beam x freeboard abreast the cockpit)."

Seems straightforward, but if I do the calculation:

25 ft LWL x 9.6 ft beam x 2.75 ft freeboard by the cockpit x 0.06
= 39.6 cu. ft. maximum cockpit size

That seems really, really small (2ft deep by 4 foot wide by 5 ft tall!).

My boat's cockpit is not overly large, but is still around 96 cubic feet (8 ft x 4 ft x 3 ft). Even if you subtract out the molded fiberglass seats, its still around 64 cu feet, or double the limit.

My questions are:

1. Am I understanding this reg right?
2. Is there a solution to this? Glassing in 32 cubic feet of foam to reduce volume? Lowering the cockpit coamings?

Thanks,

Joe

* note: this reg applies to age or series before 4/92

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

You screwed up your measurements...the units should be CUBIC FEET...not square feet.
Hi Saildog,

Yes -- you are exactly right. I should have said cubic feet (a measure of volume) not square feet (a measure of area). Thanks!

Anyways, I located the regs online at US sailing's website (System won't let me post a link, but you can Google to 'US Sailing ISAF Special Regs')

It seems category 2-4 is 9% of LWLxFreeboardXBeam while Category 0-1 is 6%. So I can probably reduce coaming height or glass in a box somewhere to get to cat 2 pretty easily, but category 1 may be out of reach.

Thanks to all who replied for their help!

Regards,

--
Joe

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Races and ISAF rules

Hey George,

I am curious on what race jgsteven is entered?
I haven't entered anything yet. I would really like to do the Pacific Cup in 2010, however right now I am just trying to understand the regulations and evaluate my boat for 'offshore cruising ability'.

It seems the 2008 Pacific Cup was done by a number of people in what I would consider a very small boat to cross the pacific in (ie: Moore 24, Express 27). I am very interested in going to Hawaii at some point (whether in 2010, or in some future year and future boat) and have been looking into the regs as a good starting place to understand how to make my boat safe offshore.

SailingDog-> I would love to see the pics of your bridgedeck install, if you could post them.

Regards,

Joe

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm, may have to do some fiberglass work afterall...

Saildog-> your bridgedeck looks great. Thanks! I am going to have to figure out a way to do something like that to get my volume down to something acceptable...

We're over on Alameda, what is the name and make of your boat?
Its s/v Flip, a 1969 Discovery 32. I guess you would call it a 'semi-custom' boat -- two were made down here in CA, and several more up in BC Canada. The boat lived up in the Berkeley Marina before I bought it, now she is down in Redwood City Yacht harbor in the South bay.

My advice is start early - We didn't have any deal breakers, but man, there was a thousand and one items on our punch list, all of them time consuming.
I am sure!! Thats why I am already thinking about 2010? :)

--
Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.