SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starboard cockpit drain is plugged. I have tried reaching down in with carious flexible tools but no joy. Anyone have an idea short of complete disassembly? I was thinking to ask my diver to try from below...

·
Life is a wild ride!
410 Posts
When I bought my first boat and gave it a good scrub down, I noticed one of the drains was clogged. It turned out to be accumulated dirt and debris in the hose. I shut the seacock, removed the hose, flushed it and replaced. The drain worked like a champ after that.
Hope that helps.

Edit: You could try pressurized water or air but it wasn't difficult to remove the hose on my Endeavour. Your boat may be different though.

·
19,488 Posts
If you have a functioning through hull valve, close it, remove the hose, clean it out and test the valve to see if water backflushes through.. if the hose is clear that might help clear the valve out if the debris in there. If you physically see gunk on the top of the valve, loosen/dig it out with a piece of welding rod or some other stiff wire, then flush.

Good to know, in any event, if your through hulls actually move, and more to the point, if they actually shut off and don't leak....

If you want to try clearing it without disassembly first, try a wet/dry shop vac from in the cockpit...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a drain that gets periodically clogged. I need to see if something is not growing in there.

In the meantime I plug my shop-vac to the hole. A small burst is enough to unclog it. Watch out as it will suck water out too.

·
Registered
659 Posts
use a plumbers plunger like you'd use for a toilet

·
Registered
23,497 Posts
Rent a plumber's drain auger?

Personally, I would disassemble, but an auger should work.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Rent a plumber's drain auger?

Personally, I would disassemble, but an auger should work.
You'd get a drain auger stuck then you would be disassembling it.

Flo617 suggested a shop vac, instead of vacuuming it out, reverse the hose & blow it out.

·
Registered
830 Posts
When mine slow or stop, I use an electrician's fish tape to clear; then the dock hose to flush the small debris. I'm planning on enlarging the scuppers/hoses this coming season. They are only 1/2"aperture now, with5/8 hose exiting the transom. Spring and Fall tree debris needs clearing a couple times a month! 1 or 1 1/4" hose may rectify that clogging?

·
Registered
845 Posts
The best way i have found to un plug these is to blow them out from the opposite direction. If there is any way to blow pressurized water from under the boat up, i'd try it. Be careful useing compressed air, water, auger's as you could do some damage. The vacuum may work though.

·
Registered
845 Posts
When mine slow or stop, I use an electrician's fish tape to clear; then the dock hose to flush the small debris. I'm planning on enlarging the scuppers/hoses this coming season. They are only 1/2"aperture now, with5/8 hose exiting the transom. Spring and Fall tree debris needs clearing a couple times a month! 1 or 1 1/4" hose may rectify that clogging?
1/2" scuppers? What a PITA. I have 2" on my boat and even it can accumalate leaves at times. Easy to blow out though.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yes, it *is* a PITA. I guess at 1/2 " as I can barely fit the tip of a pinky in the hole. The hoses under the 'pit are near 7/8" OD, so..... :(

·
Registered
845 Posts
rbyham,
I forgot to mention. I have mentioned this before on here.

I simple way to keep it clean in the future is to get some PVC pipe and drill a crap load of small holes in it. Say; a foot long. Put a cap on one end. Adapt it so you can place it in or around your scupper. Not permanant. Make sure it lies horizontal/flush to your deck. When you leave your boat place and go.
This will cut down on the leaves and debris getting into your scupper.
This acts like a filter.

·
19,488 Posts
You'd get a drain auger stuck then you would be disassembling it.

Flo617 suggested a shop vac, instead of vacuuming it out, reverse the hose & blow it out.
If debris has filtered down over time and plugged the drain from above, often pressure in the same direction with simply compact it and make things worse, while reversing flow removes the blockage relatively easier in many cases.

In industrial processes lines that tend to 'plug' periodically usually get 'backflushed' for that reason.

Odds are the vacuum will be more effective, with a wetvac and filter removed I'd be tempted to pull a fair bit of water through besides, if it indeed clears up that way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts