SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the old impeller on my old Merc 9.8 to find the old one was shredded. Replaced it, put back together, she starts fine but no pee flow. Shut her down take her apart check everything put back together, same thing, take her apart again.
Finally try to blow thru the water tube leading from the pump to the block. It is blocked. Oddly, I can blow back thru the pee tube (yeah giving my Merc a BJ, yuk)Check to see if there may be a thermostat, got a place for one but there is none there so that is not the prob. I think a piece of the shredded old impeller got up in the block cooling channels. I can run a wire all the way up the water tube to the block so it isnt in the tube.
Backflush doesn't help because it simply exits thru the exhaust housing.

So, what is easiest access to the block cooling channels? I think there are cooling channels in the "head" where the plugs screw in and this may be closest to the water tube. Another possibility is thru the "exhaust cover" that is where the pee tube exits.

Thoughts? The repair manual says nearly nothing about block cooling and all I have to go on are parts diagrams.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have to get back to my merc to see under the cover. I got a 73' 9.8 110. Maybe snake a wire from the tube where the water impeller goes up to the block. I bet part of the old impeller is in that tube.

Got a good place who sells a set of points? That's the next repair I need to do after rewiring the whole motor.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
I had a similar problem on my dinghy motor (Yamaha 2). Turns out the passages in the head and block were plugged with salt deposits. Required removing the head, clearing the passages, and putting it back together with new head gasket.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved. Removed the power head and found a piece of impeller stuck right where the water tube enters the power head.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts