SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Port side deck scupper has an obstruction in it allowing only a slight trickle of water to escape. I've tried blowing it out with a water hose and have run a snake down as far as I can. I seem to be stopping above the thru hull valve. I have a borescope but haven't been able to advance it around the curve to the obstruction to see what is the issue.

Anyone have any tricks? Ideas?

I am going to try snaking/borescoping from the ocean side to see if I can resolve the issue.

Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ah-Yes the port scupper--- of course the thru hull is under the chart table-- and inaccessable-I have found that a wet-dry vacuum works to clear whatever is in the scupper hose.There seems to be a right angle bend at the thru-hull and it is very difficult to keep clear.
If you find a great answer to this problem-please share.
Di and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
-I have found that a wet-dry vacuum works to clear whatever is in the scupper hose.
The scupper is flowing much better after using the shop vac. I didn't get anything big out of it, just some debris, so there may still be an object lodged in the hose but it is draining now.

Thank you for the idea!

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
The scupper is flowing much better after using the shop vac. I didn't get anything big out of it, just some debris, so there may still be an object lodged in the hose but it is draining now.

Thank you for the idea!
You may have a colony of barnacles/oysters/mussels growing in your hose. If you can get at the through-hull and temporarily block it from the outside (without freezing yourself to death), a dose of Barnacle Buster/Rydlym or a similar descaling agent for a hour or two may be all it takes to clear your line. BTDT. It worked for us.

Good Luck!

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,525 Posts
I agree about the mollusc problem. We arrived in Grenada not having been out of the water since Australia and with the boat sitting in the water near Cape Town for almost a year. After we hauled we got a lot of crap out of all of our throughulls just with a screwdriver and a fine chisel. The stuff did not go in very far and it was easy to get out, just slow, fiddly work.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,487 Posts
The discharge is just above the waterline, I wouldn't expect marine growth...but stranger things have happened. :)
Do they have mud-wasps or mud-hens where you are? That thru-hull would make a handy, dandy home for a mud-wasp to build her nest and leave her eggs. We had that difficulty with a fuel tank vent fitting that a mud-wasp completely blocked. It built it's nest right over the screening designed to keep critters out! PITA!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mines plugged too, couldn't get it clear from topside last time, but was slowly draining. I gotta get that this week...Also port side.

Not crazy about the idea of running that crud though vac. I guess I could run fresh water through it after. The seawater stuff could get funky.

·
Registered
248 Posts
We had the same problem on Hush. I had to dive and run a water hose to the inlet. The water pressure blew the obstruction...leaves, sticks etc out into the cockpit. The Admiral purchased some stainless drain screens we keep in the drain while in port. So far has worked great. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Nice idea on the shop vac. We ahve a scupper in a well of the cockpit in which the oversized helm fits. When it clogs up, the helm is in a pool of mucky water.

Ah-Yes the port scupper--- of course the thru hull is under the chart table-- and inaccessable-I have found that a wet-dry vacuum works to clear whatever is in the scupper hose.There seems to be a right angle bend at the thru-hull and it is very difficult to keep clear.
If you find a great answer to this problem-please share.
Di and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139

1 - 13 of 13 Posts