SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Among the plethora of other things I'm sorting out before splash is the issue of the bilge ending up with a good 2-3 gallons of new rain water in it every time there's been a heavy rain.

So I went into today with my trusty flashlight while a steady downpour of rain was soaking the boat. I found some minor leaks at the common culprit locations like at the port lights, some minor leaking at the cockpit hatches, and a trickle or two down the outside of the mast. But what I found was that my main culprit seems to be INSIDE the mast... :confused:

I noticed a steady dripping stream of water that was traveling down the mast wiring from above, which is riding along the mast wiring until it exits the mast through an access hole near the mast step. From there, the wire bends upward and at the bottom of the bend, drip... drip... drip...

I've never really seen the top of a mast and how the wiring for the gear up there enters. So is there a cap on the top and are the wiring entry points supposed to be sealed ?

What other methods of entry would be likely culprits for funneling so much water down inside the mast ?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.