SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Retired and happy
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tought some of you guys out there migh get some mild amusement from the attached photo which is of an artifact I recently removed from my Morgan 30. It was mounted at the stern on the section of the hull which slopes down from the transom to the waterline (there must be a technical term for this, but it escapes me at the moment) and has been cunningly designed (;) ) to carry water from the cockpit drain and from the electric and manual bilge pumps.

The (large) inlet on the right was attached to the cockpit drain and the (small) inlet teed in on top was attached, via a tee piece to the bilge pumps. The outlet (attached to the large, handcrafted blob of epoxy putty) was situated over a hole in the hull. It all looked as though it had been there for quite some time.....

None of the piping associated with this fine piece of sculpture was in good condition, many of the fittings were of non-standard sizes and several were made from material not suitable for a marine environment (ie mild steel). In additon, the 1 1/2" manual pump and the 1 1/4" electric pump were both being constricted into a 3/4" barb fitting! I decided to replace the lot.

First puzzle was to remove the offending fitting and attached blob. This looked challenging, but proved to be very simple. Whoever had fashioned the epoxy had failed to prepare the hull and so, in spite of its unusually large surface area, it came away with barely a whisper. I replaced it with a thru-hull fitting of the correct size and then re-piped the whole system.

I now feel a good deal more secure about dealing with an unexpected ingress of water......

Stuart

Attachments

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I'm impressed that the boat didn't sink with that piece of work.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Nice paint job on the epoxy though . . . .

·
Registered
110 Posts
Holy crap! That's $6.00 worth of plumbing and $60.00 worth of West System.

Maybe whoever did it is a gambler, and just liked the excitement of knowing that when he was sailing the boat could sink at any time.

The PO should be punched in the head. Really hard. In fact a service where you could hire large angry people to punch POs in the head could really tap an under-serviced market. There's lots of pent-up demand.

·
Retired and happy
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dog - Yes, and that's just from the weight of epoxy!

WouldaSholda - Do you have a warning sign for visitors to your toilet?

Omatako - Yes, the paint job would have been very comforting as the captain went down with his boat wondering why the bilge pumps weren't working properly.....

Garymcq - Yeah, the cost of the replacement arrangement I installed must have been a lot less. Sadly, the PO was not a well man. having been involved a number of years ago in a major near-death experience with an artic. This does not excuse him, of course, since he must have done the plumbing long before this. However, I take your point about POs in a more general sense.

Stuart

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
above water line?

Hello,

Unless I have missed something, that piece was attached to something above the waterline, right? So, while really ugly and not a very good design, I don't think it was unsafe.

On my boat I have one drain for the automatic bilge pump, another for the manual bilge pump and two more for the cockpit scuppers. So that is 4 holes in the boat for drains. I can see the attraction of having just 1 hole, but there must be a good reason for having 4 separate holes.

Barry

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Barry-

It was not very far above said water line... and if the boat had been pooped in a storm, that could have easily brought that mess below the waterline... and lead to the boat doing bad things like sinking. :)

Hello,

Unless I have missed something, that piece was attached to something above the waterline, right? So, while really ugly and not a very good design, I don't think it was unsafe.

On my boat I have one drain for the automatic bilge pump, another for the manual bilge pump and two more for the cockpit scuppers. So that is 4 holes in the boat for drains. I can see the attraction of having just 1 hole, but there must be a good reason for having 4 separate holes.

Barry

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Some poor guy put a lot of time and effort into that and you simply ripped it out. Nice.

·
Retired and happy
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dog and BarryL, you are both correct. The outlet is above the waterline, so no immediate cause for alarm in calm seas, but on a run with biggish following seas it might have been a different matter.

Sailortjk1 - as they would say in my native Scotland - Aye, right!!.

Apart from its precariousness, I guess that the arrangement worked in a kind of way, but lacked the integrity and high levels of functionality that are so important when things go pear shaped.......

Stuart

·
Retired and happy
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apologies - I realised after I had posted that it was the wrong word over here. An "Artic" is the same as a "Semi" ie a big truck. It is, of course, short for "articulated". A haggis is quite different and generally does not give rise to near death experiences, though I understnd that there have been occasional shooting accidents during the haggis hunting season.....

Stuart

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
One word only .... sweeeeeet

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sadly I removed similar from my morgan 35, grey pvc, maybee a little brass tube, all "gooped" into the hull, seemed original through my forensic analysis during dissection. it may be a poorly executed copy of the manufacture's technique, because mine was well adhered

I'm reeeeeeaaaaallllllllly enjoying the idea of punching my PO in the head :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Big trucks are never articulated. Right. "Large Cars" and "Big Trucks", never. Now those Lorries and such as could never run with the big dogs, sure, they could be articulated. I suppose even a "One Shack Mac, With No Shack"

But not a Big Truck.

Signed, Peterbuilt's Mom.

p.s. Nice sculpture. It speaks to me.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
It's obvious from the picture that your PO and my PO learned from the same teacher. What we need to do now is find said teacher and lock him up before he can do any more teaching(and maybe hit him in the head a few times for good measure). Do you think when people do things like this they stand back when finished and think "man, that's a really good job I did"?

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Unfortunately, they probably do...
It's obvious from the picture that your PO and my PO learned from the same teacher. What we need to do now is find said teacher and lock him up before he can do any more teaching(and maybe hit him in the head a few times for good measure). Do you think when people do things like this they stand back when finished and think "man, that's a really good job I did"?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Sadly, that looks a lot like the valve on my diesel tank... got my fingers crossed on that one. I'll have to remove half my boat (engine, battery compartment, cockpit drain plumbing, steering) to fix it... ick...

·
Retired and happy
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I imagine that they do and isn't that very worrying?! I am with you all the way on seeking out that teacher guy and making sure that he does no more of this terrible stuff......

Where do we start?

Stuart

·
Retired and happy
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sadly, that looks a lot like the valve on my diesel tank... got my fingers crossed on that one. I'll have to remove half my boat (engine, battery compartment, cockpit drain plumbing, steering) to fix it... ick...
Our thoughts are with you, Sailboy. At least mine was easy to get to....

Stuart

1 - 20 of 32 Posts