SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of my plumbing project replacing the whole waste system from the head all the way to the thruhull (including replacing the holding tank) (see also my thread Plumbing Questions : Head / Holdingtank / Overboard).

While I placed most of the items and starting to run the 1 1/2" Trident Odor safe hose, I find that the hose barbs on all fittings are slightly different in size. Reading other posts were people use boiling water, hairdryers, heat guns to manage to push the hose over the fittings, I found I can slide the hose easily (with some it feels too easy) over the barbs. I am in Florida and the temperature is about 78F.

I am double clamping everything as it should be. Will the hose clamps take care of the issue and provide a good seal or do I have to do anything else in order to to have a lasting seal? After the hose clamps are tighten I can't move (pull or rotate) the hose, so I must have a mechanical sound connection. Any comments on this?

For chafe control where the hoses go thru bulkheads and cabinet walls I am intending to use the black foam insulators one can buy at the home improvement stores. They are slit tubes of foam with about 3/8" wall thickness. Any comments on this?

Thanks for all inputs.

·
Registered
312 Posts
IF you can't move the hose when you have the clamps on it should be fine. Did you get the right size barb per hose?

·
Registered
21 Posts
tip for easing on the hoses..

i heat h 2 0 til it's very hot, then add 1 teaspoon of dish detergent. stick the hose into this soap mix for a minute or 2 and the hose will expand enough to slip right on to the barb. do 2 hose clamps while hose is hot. :cool:

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
You might be alright given that the hoses will not be under significant pressure and you're double clamping them. I'm a bit leery of this loose fit though having recently seen a batch of male adapters (hose barbs) rated for one inch, and inch and a quarter, where the barb slid right into the poly pipe or hose with no force or heat required to expand the pipe/hose. I sent them all back as I needed them to hold 50-60psi. The barb's ridges are supposed to prevent the hose/pipe from sliding back off. Another words, it's supposed to be tough to get those old hoses off! Given that, at some point, one or more of these fittings is going to be involved in keeping the ocean on the outside of the boat I'd seriously consider getting some male adapters (hose barbs) that fit tightly for a proper seal rather than relying on the lowly hose clamp. Were it my boat, I'd want the hose attached such that I could take the clamp loose completely and the hose would still remain attached to the barb, maybe seeping a bit but, attached.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I've been changing out hoses all summer. I just started installing some trident 101 head hose and it had a looser fit than other hoses I've installed. Other hoses were very difficult, the 101 was easy. It was easy to install but considering how easy it slipped on, it was difficult to remove immediately after.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts