SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
switching the two deck fills actually does makes sense, but only if you can route the pumpout hose fairly smoothly. Having the deck pumpout fitting closer to the edge of the boat's deck makes it easier to clean up when the inevitable pumpout disaster happens.

Badsanta—Your comment would make sense if he had a direct overboard discharge for the head, but he doesn't.

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
Y-valves are usually okay.. T-valves can have a problem with the 90˚ bend. :)

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
Really bad idea IMHO. You don't want the freshwater fill and the head pumpout any where near each other. Many pumpout fitting will spray a bit... and do you really want raw sewage anywhere near your fresh water deck fill????

If you have a leaky o-ring or forget to close it tightly, what do you think the chances of getting sewage into your potable water tank is if they're located next to each other???

This might be a possibility: leave the freshwater fill as is. In the anchor well I could cut another hole next to the freshwater fill and drop a weighted line down where I can pick it up inside the v-berth access panel. The I could use a fish tape to reach over from there to where the holding bladder is.

Once I've done that I could attach a line to a piece of sanitary hose, pull it over to the access plate, attach it to a fitting, pull the fitting up through the hole with the line and then fasten the fitting in place from above.

Voila! A new deck fitting for the pumpout. If there's room I could even double up and pass a vent line up that way along with it.

Have to stick my head back down there this week and have a look-see about this.

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
Jas—

Since you already have the other deck fitting location, why drill another hole, if it isn't necessary or safe. :)

· Telstar 28
43,281 Posts
Reaction score
There is no other deck fitting location. There is a pumpout fitting now in the v-berth under the cushions and the freshwater fill in the anchor well. I figure I can either swap the usage of the fittings or drill a new hole so they can both be up in the anchor well.
Oh, I thought it was in the deck above the v-berth. :) My bad... I'd still want the two fittings further apart. If the pumpout guy gets confused as to which is which and accidentally attaches the pumpout to the water fill.. that would be bad. I've seen it happen, and it's not pretty.

I've seen accidents like that happen with water and fuel, fuel and pumpout, pumpout and water, etc... Keeping them physically separated by some distance is the cheapest insurance against mistakes. BTW, it takes forever to get rid of the taste of diesel once some gets in the water tank... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.