SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We're planning our first summer of cruising and kind of wanted to go down the Hood Canal. But there's this thing called a "bridge" that I have never delt with before and has the new sailor wife alot nervous about. They advertise
55' at the highest point, we're at 52' above the water. I'm guessing the tide will be the nemis here. Would like to talk to any of you from the PNW who have been under or "opened" the Hood Canal bridge.

Dave

·
19,485 Posts
Bridge clearances are generally charted from higher high water (ie the least you'd ever see) so in our area if it's close, any low to mid tide should be an easy go.

That said, I've not been through that one, and if there's any following/aiding current involved you really want to be certain!!

·
Dakota Lee
107 Posts
Please retract my earlier statement since both banks are fixed structures and I assume that most boats would be forced to navigate under those spans. The swing portion of the center can be opened for large craft but I suspect that there strict restrictions as to when and for who they open the span for....nuclear submarine...yes....pleasure sailboats...perhaps at 3 am...pretty busy bridge since it’s the only access to the that area of the Olympics without having a longer and more roundabout drive

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Are you 52' above water to the top of your masthead, or 52' above water to the highest point on the boat (usually a VHF antenna, anchor light, or wind instrument)? My VHF antenna is 1 meter (39") long and masthead mounted, so I always count my boat has 3' taller than the masthead height.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts