SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered before but a search here was unproductive.
Ive got a couple non opening ports with no exterior trim ring (is that a window even though its a boat?), just caulked in neatly, fiberglass to plex on my CD 30 MKII. Dont know if they are Plexiglass (acrylic) or Lexan (polycarbonate) but I assume acrylic cause it was cheaper and adequate.
They are hazy. Tried the super fine sandpaper kit from WM. Worked, sort of but not great, but haze came back.
I know replacement would be best but I want to try polish once more.
I remember recommendations for a metal polish that folks said was unsurpassed for this purpose. Can you remind me of the product.
Any other suggestions other than replacement?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Novus by far is the best, it is a 3 stage process and really clears ports that are opaqued by the sun. However, dependant on how bad the ports are, be prepared to have to redo them every 3 or 4 months or replace them.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Try cleaning then polishing with Imar strataglass cleaner and polish

edit= finishing my comment ......duh

·
Registered
201 Posts
the problem with plexi is that the surface degrades and although it looks just cloudy the surface is just covered in minute cracks. Some products use what they claim to be 'nano-technology' to correct the problem. These products just fill the cracks but do not last. These are the easier products to use. Others are a multi-stage product using different abrasive compounds to remove and polish the plexi. These correct the problem for a longer period of time but eventually the problem will return. In my case, within 6 months,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Its the UV radiation breaking down the plastic. No matter what you do to resurface them, the haze will continue to come back.

I think there are spray on products that promise to block UV on clear plastic, but its not going to be permanant. There are UV blocking films, but again its not going to be a perfect (it will peel eventually). Acrylic just can't resist sunlight very well. Polycarbonate and glass is a much better material for long term exposure.

·
Registered
201 Posts
They work on pretty much all plastics. I would not expect there to be much difference between the perfomance of Lexan or Acrylic after polishing.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
One thing, some Lexan or Polycarbonate is sold with a UV-resisting coating. If you polish it, the Lexan will deteriorate more quickly, since you'll effectively be removing the coating.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another Question

Wouldn't you think that if Lexan needed polishing that it probably does not have a UV light protection film on it? Or is there another reason why Lexan might need polishing? I guess it could be physical scratches. How do you know the difference between UV light deterioration and physical scratches?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Clouding, and yellow hazing esp. around the edges, is UV damage. Scratches and 'crazing' are physical scratches like from salt. Scratches accelerate the UV degradation because they open up more surface area in the plastic to be attacked.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What are your choices?

So no matter what the cause, once you have hazing, crazying, scratches etc., you have no choice but to polish or change out the plastic. Is that the correct conclusion?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, pretty much. Acrylic left exposed to sunlight should be considered a consumable item that will need periodic replacement.

·
Courtney the Dancer
3,971 Posts
I usually polish our Lexan side windows and the hatches once per year. Unless there are deep scratches I just use the Novus #1 and #2, deep scratches need #3. Our hatches were really bad when we bought the boat. Now they look OK and you can see through them but they don't look shiny new. Novus is good stuff.

·
Registered
847 Posts
My lady has used insulator wax as preventive maintenance for decades. It works well to help fend off UV damage, scratches, etc., before they happen. Don't know how well it would work to bring back stuff that's already damaged.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts