SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Re: Politics, Current Affairs, Guns & HOT Topics - Forum

The Conservative Party just ate their leader again. It's funny because they did this instead of understanding that their problem is/was not the messenger -- it's the message.

Until the Conservatives get with the 21st century on issues like gay marriage, transgender rights and climate change, they will continue to stay on the opposition benches.

(Just thought I'd try and make this about Canadian politics, instead of the constant barrage of American politics).

·
11,803 Posts

Watching the Clown Show in disbelief ! It's watching the congress critters melt down and bloviating about mythical "crimes".
Oh please these same blowhards spent years going after Clinton for having an extramarital affair and impeached him. No conviction there. They went after his wife for Benghazi and Whitewater....no convictions there

At least Mueller has put 28 in jail including the National Security Advisor, the Campaign Manager, and his personal lawyer amongst others. America’s generals, who are the rock of our country have been vilified by the draft dodging president who got a fake deferment.

Fake charities to hide money. Wait till his income taxes finally come out and they will. The graft will be amazing.

Now he goes after Bidens kids. Wonder what would happen if they truly went after Trumps kids. Ivanka and her deals with foreign countries. Kushner and his peddling of graft like his father.

On the scale of national security....involving , welcoming and suggesting a foreign government get involved in the election of American citizens ranks a little more agregious. It’s exactly what the founding fathers wrote into the Constitution.

We will survive this misogynist just like we survived the other one.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts

I am impressed how successful stupid and unethical people are. In no way is the USA and likely other cultures a meritocracy. This explains how awful media is and especially news which is infotainment. What's with these pundits... are they are uneducated as they sound or are they towing some line because it pays to?

What we should have learned from these "impeachments" is that the constitution is out dated and needs to be re done... or seriously amended. Bill of rights is fine.... things like the electoral college and the senate itself are stupid and undemocratic as is the Supreme court which has way to much power. Some of their decisions such as Citzens United is completely misguided. Money is not free speech... or should not be. The problems are as clear as glass... why is there no will to fix this?

·
Master Mariner
8,234 Posts

I am completely amazed that any intelligent, thoughtful human being could still support a president who repeatedly attacks a 16 year old girl who feels so passionately that she would cross the Atlantic twice under sail to support her beliefs.
Remember, these attacks are from a man who used his daddy's money and influence to avoid his military responsibility as an America and got a doctor to certify he had bone spurs, all the while he was playing sports at college.
At what point does a rational person come to the realization that it is impossible for so many to be wrong against the voice of just one?

·
11,803 Posts

I am impressed how successful stupid and unethical people are. In no way is the USA and likely other cultures a meritocracy. This explains how awful media is and especially news which is infotainment. What's with these pundits... are they are uneducated as they sound or are they towing some line because it pays to?

What we should have learned from these "impeachments" is that the constitution is out dated and needs to be re done... or seriously amended. Bill of rights is fine.... things like the electoral college and the senate itself are stupid and undemocratic as is the Supreme court which has way to much power. Some of their decisions such as Citzens United is completely misguided. Money is not free speech... or should not be. The problems are as clear as glass... why is there no will to fix this?
No Jeff your problems with this are not mine , so maybe they are not as clear as glass as you think.

When in balance the three branches work fine. Removing the Senate / House set up would give the states with large populations too much power.

It’s easy to rail against something without proposing a fix or alternative. I see no other government system presently which is a better alternative.

There need to be changes however. Changes by law which don’t require a constitutional amendment which would be impossible to ever pass ( ie ERA)

I have no issue with the Senate...or the House set up......it’s the people who occupy the chairs. We need term limits.

Reform should start with
1-Financing Of elections .That includes the amount outside groups including the parties are allowed to spend on them.
2- Term Limits
3- Lobbying influence - this is also connected with election financing
4- no continuing resolutions. Put them in a room with cots and food until they come up with an agreement. My wife and I don’t have continuing resolutions
5 - independent fact checking panel with penalties for lies

Reactions: flyrod

·
Registered
4,937 Posts

No Jeff your problems with this are not mine , so maybe they are not as clear as glass as you think.

When in balance the three branches work fine. Removing the Senate / House set up would give the states with large populations too much power.

It’s easy to rail against something without proposing a fix or alternative. I see no other government system presently which is a better alternative.

There need to be changes however. Changes by law which don’t require a constitutional amendment which would be impossible to ever pass ( ie ERA)

I have no issue with the Senate...or the House set up......it’s the people who occupy the chairs. We need term limits.

Reform should start with
1-Financing Of elections .That includes the amount outside groups including the parties are allowed to spend on them.
2- Term Limits
3- Lobbying influence - this is also connected with election financing
4- no continuing resolutions. Put them in a room with cots and food until they come up with an agreement. My wife and I don’t have continuing resolutions
5 - independent fact checking panel with penalties for lies
Your thinking about the big states having too much power is unfounded. Power to to what to the small states? Let's start there.

Senate is undemocratic... it is not one person one vote. States are not equal in population so a small state should not have the same number of senate votes votes as the large state. Bicameral set up is fine... but the senate as it is not is a real problem. We have the poor states living off the rich... We have the backward states driving policy because of this.... Kentucky is the prime example. And YES it depends on who is sitting in the seats.

I am for restrictive term limits... 6 yrs in gov and that's it... same for the courts... not lifetime appointments.

Elections are all completely public financed.

No lobbying by for profit corporations.

·
11,803 Posts

The check on the Senate is the House which has representation by population.

I have no issue with federal judges for life. Every six years will make those position even more political. The check on this is confirmation process.

Not sure that public financing works. Why shouldnt Bloomberg be able to use his own money. Just cap the spending the same for everyone so they have to manage their running dollars. No lobby ads .

·
Registered
4,937 Posts

·
Registered
Hunter 386
553 Posts
Re: Politics Sub Forum - US Politics December 2019

Harumph!

Mark ... where's my Canadian Politics December 2019 thread? :wink
We will just abscond with this one. The only thing more ridiculous than 50 states agreeing to scrap the constitution is getting 9 provinces to agree to amend one. We may be small in numbers but we make up for it in sheer stubbornness and tunnel vision.

Constitutions are so last century. And the century before. And the century before that. What we need is a highly adaptive and variable TOS document that is responsive to trends, fads and constantly changing social awareness.

·
Old soul
4,498 Posts
Re: Politics Sub Forum - US Politics December 2019

We will just abscond with this one.
:grin

The only thing more ridiculous than 50 states agreeing to scrap the constitution is getting 9 provinces to agree to amend one. We may be small in numbers but we make up for it in sheer stubbornness and tunnel vision.
So true. Actually, I think it only requires seven of 10 provinces to agree, as long as they represent at least 50% of the population. Oh, and both the House of Commons and the Senate must also assent.

... piece of cake :laugher

Constitutions are so last century. And the century before. And the century before that. What we need is a highly adaptive and variable TOS document that is responsive to trends, fads and constantly changing social awareness.
You mean like Apple or Google or Facebook or any credit card agreement, where the TOS can be changed immediately by the larger party, with no process, no notice, and no appeal process? ;)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Term limits have not worked out well for us here in Missouri. Many people who fought for term limits entered our state legislature as new "Citizen Legislators", with no experience, and are now calling for the repeal of limits.

Not only do term limits throw out bad law makers every few years, they also throw out good ones too. We now have a legislature that has no historical knowledge or experience.

Since they are there for such a short time, they struggle to make a name for themselves quickly. We see lots of freshman legislators holding press conferences to announce frivolous but attention grabbing bills. We've had inexperienced legislators tying up the legislature for weeks debating bills to make English our official state language (very silly, because nobody in Missouri speaks any other languages), to designate our official state tartan plaid pattern, and official hockey team (we only have one).

We had one of these freshman legislators try to establish himself as the most Christian, by forcing a debate about which brand of prayer should be said to open each session. Others have pushed bills to ban lap dances in our handful of strip clubs, and one to ban billboards advertising adult book and toy stores.

Meanwhile, we have found out that legislators who serve under term limits have no interest in efforts for long term projects like rebuilding highways and bridges, because they know that they won't be around long enough to see such projects completed, to get any credit for them. While our legislature has spent weeks debating our official state language, Missouri is near the top, in terms of number of bridges in critical condition.

We still are the 47th state with our low gas tax, and have the lowest gas tax, and overweight truck fine of any state, through which, Interstate 70 runs. Sections of I-70 and I-44 are in need of replacement but we don't have the money, and our term limited lawmakers are too dependant on the trucking industry for campaign donations. We have legislators who were auto dealership owners, feed mill operators, teachers, and doctors, and by the time they learn how government works, how to draft and present quality legislation, their time is up.

Term limits turned out not to work like people thought they would.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
We have to start by making political parties illegal. If an elected official does not do as the party requires, they get no funding for their next election. That's simply racketeering. George Washington warned against political parties, for this exact reason, and he was right.

Think of all the exact party line votes you've heard of in the last decade. Do you really think each elected official really sees things that crisply? No way.

Second, it has to be illegal for an elected official to use their own election funding raising dollars to support another campaign. Did you know this happens? It's what puts the long term politicians in power. They often run unopposed and use their funds to get other positions elected, who now owe them. Almost sounds like the mafia, doesn't it. Been going on for decades.

There needs to be an entirely separate election counsel. You can't ever expect the politician, who benefit from the current system, to ever vote to change it.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Term limits are fine... There is plenty of talent to serve. Sure you may retire someone good... but there are others who are good and can replace them. And maybe with an even better person!

If terms are staggered in a legislative body you don't lose institutional "memory".

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I've spent a lot of time on Capital Hill, trying to educate elected officials about one thing or another. It's amazing what they don't know.

Their staff, on the other hand, is a real mixed bag. Some are kids. Others are lifers that have been in the shadows for generations of elected officials. They really run the show, in most aspects. Believe it or not, even lobbiests are relied upon to detail history of past administrations, what worked, didn't work, etc.

The term deep state is over used at the moment, but it certainly exists. You have to address this too, if you're going to get aggressive with term limits.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I've spent a lot of time on Capital Hill, trying to educate elected officials about one thing or another. It's amazing what they don't know.

Their staff, on the other hand, is a real mixed bag. Some are kids. Others are lifers that have been in the shadows for generations of elected officials. They really run the show, in most aspects. Believe it or not, even lobbiests are relied upon to detail history of past administrations, what worked, didn't work, etc.

The term deep state is over used at the moment, but it certainly exists. You have to address this too, if you're going to get aggressive with term limits.
Pols need to be generalists with a political slant... not necessary for them to havbe a narrow focus .. not even disable. They need staff to drill into the nuts and bolts of issues. Good staff informs their boss. Same as in commerce in large organizations. Some top have worked there way up. Trump is an example of someone with no education, skills or knowledge. He uses and discards others... not a good manager in my opinion. What matters to someone like him is not facts but blind loyalty and people who go along with his (lawless) world view.

Lobbyists are writing legislation and handing it to congress critters. Usually not a great idea.

·
11,803 Posts
I have worked on Capital Hill As a contractor the last 12 years. I have daily interaction with many levels of congressional staff. The staffs of the Congressman do all the work.

It is completely untrue that they are either old entrenched beaurocrats or wet behind the ears recent college grads. The staff is very diverse and many have great qualifications. Most of their goals are not to be career beaurocrats but are just there for a number of years to get experience and develop contacts and a network .

The are the true worker bees who do the research and sausage making. Each Congressperson is essentially a CEO of their own office. Many of the Congress are very out of touch with their own constituents. Having a term limit of 12 years ( 2 seats terms or 6 house terms ) would allow for continuity.

The “deep state “ crap is no different in any large corporation with a core of lifers. No different in the news organizations with long term employees. It only becomes the “deep state” when they want to do something different than what you believe in.

Politics and Government while having some similarities to the corporate world does not work the same. It is about consensus building vrs power from a position. What we see now and the last 35 years are people who cannot come to consensus or even talk to each other.

I love people who criticize what’s present without solutions which are reasonable. For example outlawing parties isn’t reasonable. It’s a sound byte which could never happen.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts