SailNet Community banner

Have you used your boat this year

• My boat is on the hard and has not been in the water.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • My boat is in the water but has not been any where.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I am using my boat but les than normal.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Normal useage

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I am using my boat more than normal.

Votes: 9 22.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would play with a poll to see if people are getting out on their boats or if the current health crisis has impacted their ability to use their boats compared to normal years.

I will go first. My boat has not touched water aside from rain and dew this year.

I spent a fair bit of my free time in April getting her ready. New running rigging, outboard maintenance etc. Since then, she has sat on a trailer in my driveway looking pretty (to me any way).

The current situation in Ontario I find to be pretty difficult for what I would consider to be reasonable use of a small sailboat. My canoe, which I can use on m local creek, has seen extensive use; 2-3 times a week. The sailboat sits waiting for better times :)

·
bell ringer
4,817 Posts
Well my boat is always in the water and I am always using it. But I planned to be either still in the Bahamas of DR right now and instead came back to States and except to move to the marina haven't moved O votes "less than"

Reactions: Arcb

·
Old soul
4,553 Posts
My boat is in Newfoundland where all "come from aways" have been told to stay away. Even though it is my only home my legal address is in Ontario so I've been barred from entry.

Apparently they may open up to the rest of Canada July 17, if the current Atlantic Canadian bubble goes well. But by they it will be too late for our season. So I've lost my entire cruising season.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My boat is in the water, but I've been able to actually go out for a sail a grand total of once so far. We splashed about two weeks later than last year, but the real issue has been crew. The only people who can sail with me because of COVID 19 are my wife and daughter, and they aren't always as enthusiastic as I am about things. My wife had committed to do a cruise with me this summer, but that seems to be off the table at this point.

With my last boat, I had no issues taking her out on my own, but with this "new", larger boat, I still feel the need to have some help docking and undocking. I'm at the point where I may be polling my sailing buddies to see if they've been keeping to themselves and might be willing to go out for a sail with me. At this point, I'm emotionally writing off this season and looking at every sail as a bonus. If I hadn't pre-paid for the slip over the winter (5% discount!), I'm not sure I would have launched at all.

Still, the weather looks good for tomorrow, and the three of us are going to take Hukilau for a spin.

·
Master Mariner
8,393 Posts
One 80 mile sail from Trinidad in January and hopefully one 80 mile sail back soon. That's it for us. Thanks C-19.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Boats on the hard in St.Lucia I’m in Massachusetts. Got out second to last flight from St.Lucia when wife put her foot down and said “we’re going home”. Totally pissed off my insurance and maintenance expenses have gone through the roof and my baby just sits collecting guano and Sahara dust. Even under a canvas cover to protect her from UV I just paid to have her cleaned.
I’m in a small boat nearly daily (going out now) either fishing or rowing.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Our usage was slowed a bit in May and early June, when we were prepping the deck to paint it and all the winches, cleats, tracks and toenails were covered in blue masking tape. We've been making up for that since, doing daysails on weekends and racing Wednesday nights. For the FoJ weekend we're taking a short cruise, anchoring out overnights.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Typical use so far. Maybe 15 to 20 afternoons out for a daysail. Will be out for a 3 day local cruise this weekend. Hope recent hot weather with T-storms will improve so I can get out for a longer stretch.

·
12,239 Posts
Typical usage just a late start delayed use two weeks due to Covid 19. Have taken a 17 day vacation on Haleakula already. Currently in a 6 week period of inactivity due to engine being replaced.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Boat is always in the water and I am there almost every weekend... Late first sail and then only one sail from CT to LI and back... Even when I don't sail in season I stay aboard and mess about with projects which I don't mind. Sailing is like a treat! I hope to get the sailing use up higher in July and August but the winds stink. September and Fall should be fine... and something to look forward to. Never run out of projects.

I spent a lot of time at home on my PC drawing a stow plan from memory and photos... and a few measurements, 35 years having and living on the boat and general knowledge or ergonomics, size of things and so forth... and I have some actual projects already done in CAD to scale I can "drop in". The drawing is far from accurate but it's pretty close...and good enough for the purpose and most of all it was fun to do. It's virtual boating of a sort.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Wow. Totally impressed. I’ve actually rebought things because I can’t find them. Extra spares are a good thing but I stand in awe. We label our draws and lockers. But the bride as a habit of putting stuff where’s there space.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Wow. Totally impressed. I’ve actually rebought things because I can’t find them. Extra spares are a good thing but I stand in awe. We label our draws and lockers. But the bride as a habit of putting stuff where’s there space.
It's a work in progress because of being locked in with no work... Now I have to actually produce an "itemized" inventory... such as my hardware assortment... which since I can't find the screw I need.... I buy more... or oil filters... When you live aboard you tend to "carry inventory" because you don't have access to bricks and mortar and can't get deliveries to a anchored boat. And memory fades and without a good storage system you improvise and the chaos begins. I had the stow plan on my mind for a long time and it took C19 to get me into action. I hope I can get stuff off the boat and move it to the other chaos of stuff in my tiny garage.

Thanks for props...

·
Master Mariner
8,393 Posts
It's a work in progress because of being locked in with no work... Now I have to actually produce an "itemized" inventory... such as my hardware assortment... which since I can't find the screw I need.... I buy more... or oil filters... When you live aboard you tend to "carry inventory" because you don't have access to bricks and mortar and can't get deliveries to a anchored boat. And memory fades and without a good storage system you improvise and the chaos begins. I had the stow plan on my mind for a long time and it took C19 to get me into action. I hope I can get stuff off the boat and move it to the other chaos of stuff in my tiny garage.

Thanks for props...
Time for a bigger garage or boat?

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Time for a bigger garage or boat?
Too old for a new boat and the garage is fine for the car and some storage.... but not as son in law's storage room! I want to sell, give or toss out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We had sailed down to Antigua before Christmas and then made a couple of trips south during February and March - ending up in Tobago Cays mid March and then realized that everything was about to close so we high tailed back to Antigua. Locked down in Antigua for two months and sailed up to USVI early May before passage back to New England - arriving mid May. Boat has been hauled since end of May for repairs and new bottom paint.

Not sure what comes next - will depend on how state reopening goes but not sure Maine is going to be as welcoming of cruisers as normal so probably a quiet summer and then maybe back to Caribbean. As they say, all plans are written in pencil...

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just fully retired in Jan, so I have been using the boat a little more this year... That usually works out to one or two day sails a week...

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
We have been using out boat pretty regularly all winter long, although the winter cruising mostly consists of motoring to outstations and relaxing at the dock.

Covid has not affected our usage negatively at all. Our boat is a 5 minute drive from our house, so we have been out sailing almost every weekend, and we have gone away on weekend trips every 2 or 3 weeks. Our club has been running a Covid racing series where all boats can only be single handed or crewed by family units, so my wife and I have joined into a few of those races which has been great! It has given us an opportunity to refine our spinnaker work, and we have finally sorted out the best way to gybe the asymmetric without drama. That will serve us well cruising because the wife will be more comfortable flying the spinnaker in windier conditions!
We are looking forward to going up to Desolation Sound for 2 weeks this summer. BC has Covid under control so travel is opening up, but we still have to be sensitive about all of the small communities in the region, but we will make sure we are well provisioned so we minimize our interactions with locals.

Sailing is the best form of social distancing!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Between Covid 19 and health issues, there has been slow progress toward splashing the boat. Our marina instituted a policy of only allowing 10 folks at a time working on their boats. You had to email or phone in to get on a calendar published on their website. My problem was the inability to predict in advance when our health issues would allow time to work on the boat (removing the cover, cleaning/waxing and bottom paint).

Now that most of the yard has been cleared and the vast majority of boats are in the water, I have been able to go to the yard at will. Finally, I have got the boat just about ready to splash, as soon as I service the MaxProp and arrange for the Travelift. Hopefully that will be next week. Photo taken yesterday afternoon.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Just day sailing 'cause where you gonna go, yesterday got to watch a big pod of dolphins feeding and a Minke whale. Today we put the covers on and evacuated the harbor, they've cancelled fireworks and closed beaches but it's looking way to crowded already. We'll go sailing again Monday.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts