SailNet Community banner

Have you used your boat this year

• My boat is on the hard and has not been in the water.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • My boat is in the water but has not been any where.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I am using my boat but les than normal.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Normal useage

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I am using my boat more than normal.

Votes: 9 22.5%

• Total voters
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
been sailing for about 6 weeks now. sailed from lefkas greece down though the island’s now going round the Peloponnese.
its great only seen a couple of other boats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,803 Posts
Not exactly sure how to reply to poll. I think I’ll say normal.

However, while we splashed on schedule (Apr 1), we barely saw the boat until early May. A typical season would have us aboard 4 days per week, starting in Apr, fully commissioned for a shakedown weekend cruise on May 1. That didn’t happen. We were not fully commissioned until ~Jun 1, which was better than most. Marina is full, however.

Since then, time aboard has been normal to above normal. A little more remote work, from aboard, when a day only involves phone or video calls. We’ve been out sailing and staying the night on the hook, about every weekend. We don’t go quite as far, as shore activities (bars and restaurants) have been very limited, so destinations aren’t less attractive. We just sail where the wind takes us. We went out for lunch, on the Bay, yesterday. Sat outside. It’s bitter sweet. Feels similar, not the same.

Later in July, we’re heading out for our summer cruise. No plans, no reservations. Maine just lifted travel restrictions, if arriving from other New England states. Maybe. Good place to isolate, but plenty of places to do that around here too.

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I'm still on the boat a lot spending days on board. Since I've already been to most of the places in my area sometimes multiple times I have no desire to repeat the voyages. Though I was enjoying quick trips to a nearby local harbor to hang out for a few days and try the various local restaurants. Though in this year of COVID the idea of sailing there and going to restaurants seems somewhat pointless. So I've been on living on the boat adjusting the new sailpack sail cover I made during the lockdown and swimming off the stern. I've also discovered a cracked plastic drain flange that can go underwater on certain tacks that has me avoiding making any trips until I make a temporary repair. I've always looked forward to July 4th as I can view several professional fireworks displays without leaving the mooring. My expectations are very low this year as they have been cancelled by the local governments. Still being on the boat beats hanging out on land especially these days.

·
Registered
21,803 Posts
We were out an anchor last night and there were fireworks displays everywhere. No doubt illegal, but some were very good. Mortars well above the trees. Suspect tonight will be similar.

·
Registered
60 Posts
After a late covid start, 16 times so far this season at our Pueblo Reservoir. A normal number, circumstances factored in.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Every chance I get but still working. Just finished a 5 day then a 4 day sail (needed beer and ice) on the North Channel. Pretty quiet without the US boats.
IMG_0860.JPG

·
Registered
53 Posts
We took her out for the last mid winter race in March. Sits on the trailer since. Mostly finding crew and postponed/cancelled regattas are to blame. I'm doing less sailing this year anyway. Regatta Chair duties put me on support craft instead of the racing start. We have resumed Tuesday Night beer cans on an OPB with long time "bubble" crew and face masks. What we all miss are the get togethers afterward. My usual Thursday wine cruise, which we were soon to resume with friends, is off until one of the positive test crew recovers. Stay safe out there. Live to sail again.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
Much more use than normal. As of June 26 (last time we went out), 20 days and about 14 nights on the boat since splash on May 15. All 3-4 day cruises. 44 hours on the motor since splash, which is almost what we’d normally do in an entire season.

My 10 week furlough went to good use. My “trial retirement” was a great success. And I lost 16 pounds thanks to healthier eating and more activity (hiked 5-10 miles a day, swam 120 laps a day once the pool finally opened). Since then it’s been back to work. ☹

Reactions: SanderO

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
My boating has been minimal the past few years but has increased this summer compared the past couple but still a bit below what I'd like to call normal.

·
12,239 Posts
Actually we did great until Haleakulas engine seized after over 12,000 hours.
We traveled about 800 miles and got in a 17 day socially distanced vacation.
Engine should be done in the next three weeks and hopefully it cools down by then
We have a two week vacation planned in September / October along with our normal weekends
I have officially retired yet, but all of my restaurants are still closed with 1600 people laid off.

In the meantime we have been looking at places to retire to. Last weekend we were in New Bern socially distanced reconnoitering the area. Very nice place to live. Cost of living less than 1/2 than in the Balt/ DC metro area. No traffic
Nice marinas 1/2 the price. Close to the mountains also.

This weekend we are checking Northern Neck of Virginia. Probably take our fall vacation there

We have also been looking at RV trailers. 23-28 ft .

·
Always learning...
72 Posts
We splashed really late this year (6/29), due to closures and travel restrictions that kept me away from spring commissioning work. Pinniped was due for a full bottom job down to the barrier coat, but with time cut short, I just scraped and painted. We are planning to get her media blasted after we lift out at the end of the season.

With weather issues factored in, we have since been out for daysails for the past three weekends, first one solo and the others with the wife (who, to the surprise of both of us, has become the one asking me to go sailing!). This is about on par with us last year, with one significant change: We are spending less time on the boat when we aren’t sailing. Last year, we would often go up on a Friday and stay on board through Sunday. Now, we go up the day before we plan to sail, leave the dock early the next morning, and then pack up to head home when we return. The marina is full and often busy, and we are still trying to do our part and avoid close contact.

To be honest, we had mostly written off the sailing season this year. We weren’t even sure if we would get in the water. Now that we are in, we consider every outing to be a bonus.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts