SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again.

I've learned a lot from lurking on these forums even though I'm in a much smaller boat. Hoping the vast experience here can help out a little.

I'm about to buy a daysailer that will live on a mooring. I've always trailer sailed before, and therefore have no experience with antifouling paint, or hull paints of any kinds. One of the boats that has caught my eye, but which is several hours drive away, is advertised as having the "hull painted in vibrant red polyurethane." I'm trying to get a clear answer on exactly what product the owner applied, but as he's a bit biased I figured I'd get some back up information.

The searching I did didn't turn up any polyurethane paints meant for below waterline use, nor did I see any antifouling stuff advertised as polyurethane.
#1. Am I missing something and this is common / ok?
#2. If he painted the whole hull with something not intended for constant submersion, how hard will it be to remove it and do it right?

The boat otherwise seems well cared for and at a reasonable price given what's included. Whatever I buy will spend the whole season on a mooring in brackish water (mid Hudson).

Thanks for any input. I'm hoping to go see it in person, but having no base of knowledge for this I need to do some research.

Luke

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
It's probably a Vivid line paint that he has.. I can't remember the brand but if you look for it I'm sure you'll find it on Defender or something similar. It's a antifouling paint that comes in all shades of colors if I remember correctly. Maybe it's Petit company..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...

The seller isn't getting back to me, so I have to assume the boat already sold... or he's just another wacko posting to Craigslist.

Learned a bit for next time anyway.

Luke

·
19,488 Posts
hull painted in vibrant red polyurethane
most likely means the topsides are painted red (ie the hull above the waterline.)

AFAIK typical two-part polys like Awlgrip etc don't deal well with constant immersion and I'm not aware of any 'two part' antifoulings on the market.

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
Thanks for the reply...

The seller isn't getting back to me, so I have to assume the boat already sold... or he's just another wacko posting to Craigslist.

Learned a bit for next time anyway.

Luke
Yea, not uncommon on Craigslist. I went to look at a car a week ago, and it was quite a distance from my house (also Hudson Valley by the way) and my GPS told me I was was at his house and I drove up and noticed the foreclosure notice on the door, and I thought "Oh great I guess I am meeting the Craigslist killer" but his was the next door down. Car was very misrepresented, but he was no killer, just wasted about 4 gallons of gas....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts