SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Master Mariner
8,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anchored in Deshaies, Guadeloupe with wonderful fresh French bread and pastries from the bakery and reasonably priced fruit and veges a plenty, it seems a great place to get a little work done. We are far from any kind of hardware or marine store and I wondered if there was some generic thinner for polyurethane paint? Obviously I'm not going to find the recommended Pettit 12121 for use with their Easypoxy paint.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
According to the Material Data Sheet, the thinner is (by weight)
50-70 % Xylene
30-50 % Aliphatic Hydrocarbon (Stoddard type)
10-20% Ethylbenzene
1-10 % 1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene
So seems like their not too precise with their mix either, can you walk in an auto parts store and buy a bottle of xylene these days ?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Most of the Poly's I've used (*residentially) in the past clean up with paint thinner. I use same to cut poly U varnish. Xylene is avail at most larger hardware stores like Ace. and Tru-Value...at least at mine 'round here

·
Master Mariner
8,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used acetone with polyurethane paints. We are heading to Martinique in October, I'll bring some...:)
Thank you, acetone we have. And turps, though I'm not sure that with all the oil in turps it would be a good thinner for polyurethane. It's been so hot I need to thin the paint a tad. Just poor planning on my part, not having what I need to work in paradise. It would be sweet if "most larger hardware stores like Ace. and Tru-Value...at least at mine 'round here" were "round here"?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts