SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm a long time lurker around here but until now I haven't felt sufficiently incentive to sign up.

Our boat has an old Hood 700SL furler. We took the mast down to replace the rigging, and when going over things I found some furler parts were damaged. I tried to order replacement parts from Pampanette on 4/3 and got a call the next day (4/4) from them saying that the parts I needed were out of stock but they were willing to sell me a new 707SL for a good price after a core return discount on the old furler.

After discussing this with my co-owner we decided that this was our best option and I called back later in the day and completed the order. I stressed that it was very important that the fuler come as soon as possible as our boat is going back in the water on 4/16 the mast was supposed to go up then, using the crane they used to launch the boat. Pompanette told me that was no problem, the furler was in stock and they could ship on Monday (4/7).

Next week I didn't get any tracking number from them, so I emailed and on Thursday they responded saying that they didn't have tracking for the package because it hadn't shipped yet.

I called them and asked why it didn't ship when they said it would, they gave me a song and dance about the person who was supposed to ship it being out of town and also some mumbled stuff about parts.

They promised me it could ship the following Monday (4/14) and that they could overnight it to us but we'd have to pay additionally for overnight shipping. Fortunately my co-owner was able to call the marina and get the mast raising delayed a week so I thought we were good to go so long as they ship it on Monday or Tuesday.

Well you can guess what's happened, it's now Wednesday, I still haven't gotten any shipping conformation, and now they aren't even returning my phone calls!

Our options are rapidly dwindling, the rigger has made the forestay for us so we can't even cancel the order and find parts for the old one anymore without throwing the new forestay away. We're going to have to cancel the mast raising altogether because the marina is only going to have the crane for one more week, so we're going to have to see if we can find a place with access to a mast crane or motor all the way down to Crowley's with the mast tied to the deck.

I'm obviously angry and frustrated but I thought I'd post this 1) as a warning to people trying to do business with Pompanette and 2) because we're rapidly entering a world where the only way to get any customer service is to complain publicly on the internet.

Now that I've finally made my account I hope to start posting on some of the fun threads around here. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dilemma...I've had nothing but the best customer service from Pompanette. Also, if you run out of time for the yard crane, check out a sign company. I've used a sign crane to raise my mast, as have many others.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Bob. Thanks for the info about the sign crane, we'll look into that if necessary.

When they were still returning my calls, the people at Pompanette were very nice on the phone. My complaint is about them not actually doing what they promise.

I also find it incredible that a company would only have one person who can stick a product in a box and put a shipping label on it, and he disappears for weeks at a time.

I'd rather deal with people who are gruff on the phone but who do what they say they're going to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts