SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone cruise this lake? I'm wondering if i can eat fish i pull up. And the fact that the max depth is 20ft... is this shaped like a bowl or does the depth pop up and down, making it hard to navigate? Looking at putting in at Fountainbleau, and sailing to New Orleans, staying at anchor and then back to Fountainbleau state park for a few days. Suggestions? Pointers? 'Don't bother's?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
i just looked at the chart. it looks like it averages about 15, there is some piles, but it looks pretty even overall and pretty safe

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After the floods from Katrina receded, lots of sewage and waste was drawn into the lake. I see the water is replaced every 122 days, but just wondering if the fish have 3 eyes, or taste like, well, New Orleans' sewage.

I'm also wondering about Fountainbleau State Park and the ramp conditions. They don't have any photos of it on their site.

I appreciate the feedback on the lake depth, thanks!

·
Banned
711 Posts
Got a fair bit of spray in the face last weekend in some rather blustry conditions, I'm still alive. For some reason, everyone was calling me Tri-clops today. Fish? What fish? Wait, I did see a mullet jump. He looked okay.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Given how much time has passed between Katrina and now... I doubt the lake is all that dangerous... sewage does break down over time...so if it wasn't rinsed out....mother nature probably took care of it... unlike FEMA.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would look at the chandelier islands before I would the lake if you can make it out there the lake wasn't all that great b4 katrina and she didn't do any favors.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lake Pontchartrain Info

Suberk, I think you'll find the lake to be a fine place to sail. The depth is pretty uniform and does not have any significant shoals that aren't marked. There is no boat launch at Fontainebleau Park, but there is a nice city launch on Bayou Castine, on the west side of the park. There is no protected place to anchor around New Orleans, but you can stay in the municipal marina at a transient slip. For generally gunkholing from Fontainebleau, you can go to Bayou Lacombe, just to the east. Nice place to explore and wide enough to anchor. Bayou Liberty and BonFuca are nice to explore too. If you have time, you can get out to the Mississippi Gulf islands.. Ship Island has an old fort on it.. Horn is very nice for hiking.. There are nice launch ramps along the coast around Biloxi; that lets you get to the islands much quicker; it is a day and a half one way from Fontainebleau.
Good luck with the trip !

·
Registered
88 Posts
Suberk,
As far as the fish.. eat all you wish.... What boat do you sail, draft? howmuch time you have?
There are better choices than the lake and NO.-
The MS Sound and the many islands that are still worth while exploring, even after Katrina. More anchoring choices or marinas if you wish.
Let me know if you need more info.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
It would really be a much better idea to start your own thread on this...rather than hijacking this one. I would also HIGHLY RECOMMEND you read the POST in my signature. As for money... how much you got... it can cost as much as you have or as little as you want to spend... if you're in a 60' boat and stay only in marinas... $$$$$$$, if you're in a 30' boat and stay anchored out most of the time, $$....

How much does it cost to cruise for a year? For a married couple that is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts