SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with these winches? They seem like neat pieces of gear and would be a nice upgrade for boats with larger sails.

I'm not sure the difference between the two models, you have the Grinder and the Trimmer. Not much information on either or what makes the different.

Here's the link:

Pontos

- Ronnie...on the geaux

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I haven't used them, but I have used multi-speed winches. Other than price they are down right rediculiously nice to have. The overdrive means you shouldn't hand over hand the line in, so there is no need to stop in the middle of a maneuver to engage the self tailer.

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't used them, but I have used multi-speed winches. Other than price they are down right rediculiously nice to have. The overdrive means you shouldn't hand over hand the line in, so there is no need to stop in the middle of a maneuver to engage the self tailer.
Yea, I have only used two speed winches, never a 3.. But I bet it old be great. When I race that time you speak of to engage the self tailer, is the only hiccup when we tack.

- Ronnie...on the geaux

·
19,485 Posts
Never heard of them, but give them a try and let us all know!! ;)

We had three speed winches on our prior 40 footer, great to have for sure.

Our boat was built in Brazil, we have 'Wimaq' winches (and had hatches) that appear to be pretty much blatant Lewmar knock-offs - perhaps made under license in the 80s, don't know - but the winches seem fine.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
No experience with these winches, put got some information.

The rigger I'm using came back from Metz and was very impressed with these winches.
They seemed to good quality.

You can winch the main to the top faster than you can jump the halyard at the mast.

He has already sold three to a Pogo 40

I'm considering to buy one..
Have you seen these?

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never heard of them, but give them a try and let us all know!! ;)

We had three speed winches on our prior 40 footer, great to have for sure.

Our boat was built in Brazil, we have 'Wimaq' winches (and had hatches) that appear to be pretty much blatant Lewmar knock-offs - perhaps made under license in the 80s, don't know - but the winches seem fine.
If my old Barient mains go out I may! But from what I gather those Barient winches are bullet proof solid. Not that I want them to fail.. /:

- Ronnie...on the geaux

·
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No experience with these winches, put got some information.

The rigger I'm using came back from Metz and was very impressed with these winches.
They seemed to good quality.

You can winch the main to the top faster than you can jump the halyard at the mast.

He has already sold three to a Pogo 40

I'm considering to buy one..
Have you seen these?

Yea, I saw those videos.. It is indeed fast when they put the main up! I need to look to see if they will be at Miami or not. I'd like to put my hands on them and demo the action of it.

- Ronnie...on the geaux

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Overdrive winches are just so much fun. Sadly winches just never seem to wear out so its hard to justify upgrading. But if you are willing to splurge self tailing winches in good shape generally sell for 50-75% new prices. So you don't take a horrible loss on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts