SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see their listings plastered all over Ebay and at times on CL - the boats tend to be older and all are overpriced for the Florida market - in the body of each ad is a come on for people to join their brokerage to sell boats - pretty tacky .

Just curious if anyone has bought or sold a boat through them ?- they do at least provide lots of pictures

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,145 Posts
I recently inquired about a boat that POP Yachts represented. The broker that contacted me had the customer skills one would usually stereotype with a used-car salesman.

In general, the broker did several things to piss-me-off. I told him that my interest in this boat or any other boat that POP Yachts represent is gone. I will not deal with them again.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I looked at one they had listed. Broker was friendly and helpful. I ended up not purchasing the boat but I had no issues with POP Yachts
I'm guessing the experience varies from broker to broker.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
My complaint is that you have to register before you can even look at all of the photos. I'm a potential buyer and you're going to force me to register before you'll even show me what you have for sale!?! Give me a break!!! That's just stupid.

Imagine how long Walmart would have stayed in business if, when he opened the first one, Sam Walton had stood at the door with a clipboard and said, "You can't come in and look around until you let me collect some information about you." Sadly, PopYachts is not the only one that does this sort of thing. It just amazes me that there are business people out there who are so completely brain-dead that they think -- just because it's the internet -- it is okay to throw roadblocks in front of potential customers who want to get some information.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
You mean like. Mmm. Costco. ......
No. Not like Costco. Unless they've changed their policy in the last few years, Costco will let you come in and look around without joining. You can check prices, browse through the whole store, and so on. Only when you decide that you want to buy something are you then required to join.

If PopYachts followed that sort of policy I would have no complaints. But PopYachts won't let you browse around -- they won't let you see the pictures of the boats they have -- until you register. That is stupid. Just plain STOOOPID!

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,145 Posts
I believe that each POP Yachts broker has the latitude to set their own policies for dealing with customers. Many salespeople feel that you have entered a series of transactions and negotiations from the minute that they pick up the phone; I'll do something for you only if you do something for me. I used to be in sales training, and I recognize the behavior.

Before I made a 5-hour car trip to see a boat, I asked the POP Yachts broker for the HIN of the vessel I was interested in. He flatly refused, explaining that he thought that I would use it to identify the seller, and cut him out of his commission. He stated that he would provide the HIN and answers to other questions that I had after I signed a contract to buy the boat. I found this unacceptable and lost interest in dealing with either him or POP Yachts.

Shortly thereafter I was contacted by another POP Yachts broker who sent me a link to where I could get a free copy of a "Carfax for boats" that had been done on that vessel. I never looked at it, because I had moved on.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts
......explaining that he thought that I would use it to identify the seller, and cut him out of his commission.......
That does sound fishy. Typically, a sales contract is going to pay the broker anyway. I suppose it is possible the seller carved out anyone they source themselves. However, most brokers won't accept that term, as they are competing against their own client. Bad business.

Nevertheless, why was the HIN important to you, before you saw the boat?

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,145 Posts
Nevertheless, why was the HIN important to you, before you saw the boat?
The broker should have asked this exact question instead of refusing to tell me until the boat was under contract. A good broker should help you to find and buy the right boat, not play games.

Here is why I wanted the HIN; a friend used to work for this manufacturer, and he owned a sistership. I recalled him telling me that there had been a manufacturing issue with the bonding of the stringers of his boat. When I told him that I was interested in looking at this boat, he explained that the issue affected the first 34 boats off the line, and was addressed by a manufacturer recall. The HIN would identify if this hull was affected by the recall.

There were a couple of other things that rubbed me the wrong way about this guy, but this issue was enough. I told him that I was no longer interested in this boat. The broker responded to that with a snippy email.

What the broker did not seem to realize is that I was able to track down the owner's name, and the HIN, from the name and home port of the boat which was clearly visible in the pictures posted to eBay. :rolleyes:

·
1968 Columbia 50
433 Posts
One question for you all who have recently dealt with POP Yachts.

When I was looking 2+ years ago it seemed to me that they were claim jumping for sale listings. As in they were listing boats for sale that were not actually listed with them...in an effort to get you to work with them to buy a boat. Have any of you come across this??

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
d0n-
"you're going to force me to register before you'll even show me "
I expect that is just one more example of a company (in this case, the parent company itself) trying to monetize everything, gathering up your demographics to sell them. Someone is willing to pay them for every "potential boat buyer" they can name, and when you sign up...you've been datamined. So, step right up and join the game, send the emails to your favorite local FCC chairperson or other deserving entity. Heck, its only karma, right?(G)

They seem like an "MLS" for people who want to be self-employed boat brokers. You find a boat someone is selling, copy it to your PY account...and if you're lucky, get a split. Or something to some similar effect, from what I've seen. And just like real estate brokers (who aren't "Realtors®") hey, if the broker is on their toes...all the same to the buyer, right?

·
1979 Morgan Out Island 41
77 Posts
I contacted them a couple years back about a boat and had a good experience with the broker I dealt with. Did not get past the offer stage.

They use a marketing automation system for ongoing marketing (which I don't see a lot of in this industry) which is the reason for the quicker push to collect an email address (my opinion from looking from the outside in).

I got the feeling they are more of an "association" type of arrangement selling leads to various brokers.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
I don't think I'd call Popyachts itself a "scam".
They are more like the real estate MLS, or Amazon, ebay, Alibaba, and every eastern bazaar. It seems pretty much that anyone can sign up, use the Popyachts "umbrella", and then proceed to try posting and selling pretty much anything--without being bothered by things like having or needing a broker's license or other professional oversight.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I don't think I'd call Popyachts itself a "scam".
They are more like the real estate MLS, or Amazon, ebay, Alibaba, and every eastern bazaar. It seems pretty much that anyone can sign up, use the Popyachts "umbrella", and then proceed to try posting and selling pretty much anything--without being bothered by things like having or needing a broker's license or other professional oversight.
No, nothing like an MLS. Yachtworld is the MLS and Popyachts was banned from there. So the answer to the original question is a resounding "YES!!". They supposedly had a boat in Maine for sale, broker was in FL. This was a couple years ago. They kept harvesting and harvesting my info. But would never tell me where the boat was. Supposedly in "Saco, ME." It was a lie. Too good to be true. They steal Craigslist photos and post them themselves, then approach the seller and try to get a commission. They charge fees to buyers, etc., etc. Absolutely no ethics. Now there's a new one that comes after you through Craigslist offering "free FSBO postings," then torments you by phone until you pay them $300.00. I offered to provide the guy's number to the Maine Attorney General's office and never heard from him again.

·
2,437 Posts
My complaint is that you have to register before you can even look at all of the photos. I'm a potential buyer and you're going to force me to register before you'll even show me what you have for sale!?! Give me a break!!! That's just stupid.
I couldn't agree more and I've been seeing realtors do this as well.

I usually just make something up, and if I think I'll be back more than once I save it.

I just did this for popyachts.com

Last Name: Private
Email: [email protected]

FWIW, I looked at a couple of models I'm familiar with and found their prices ranged from high to "are you high?"

I also noticed several of the boats I looked at had their names and home ports blurred out. I don't think I've ever seen that in a boat listing before.

It doesn't exactly give you a warm and fuzzy.

Reactions: Chautausun

·
Registered
2 Posts
POPYACHTS is a scam. Here is what I think they do. They look for boats on Craigslist and ebay and contact the seller and get them to agree
to have them represent their boat. They then mark up the original seller price 2X and then make a really flashy ad on Ebay and
Craigslist hoping to get you to over pay for the boat. How do I know this? I had been watching a boat in the Pittsburgh area.
It had been listed for a long time on craigslist locally. This ad stood out because the seller was listing it as a Chris Craft Baja.
Two manufacturers that were never related. The boat was also a wreck and had been sitting out for a long time. One day
while looking at local ebay ads I saw the same boat and same pics listed by POPYACHTS. The ad was glowing and
misrepresented the actual condition of the boat. I contacted the POPYACHTS broker regarding the boat. They got
back to me. When I said why was the boat listed locally for a price that was half of what they were listing it for. He
then became angry with the question and said owners can list them locally for what they want. So I am not actually sure if
the local owner was even aware that their boat was listed on ebay. I suspect not. I would say, if you are consider a boat listed
by POPYACHTS to search for the boat locally and do the deal with the owner and cut out mark up of the middle man. Pretty sleazy company
in my opinion. I suspect any positive reviews are made up by the company. I would avoid.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts