SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Poplar Island Narrows

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  travlin-easy 
I went through Poplar Narrows on Friday Jul 19th at mid-tide. I have a CSY 44 that draws 6'6". The depth transducer is mounted apx 4 feet above the keel bottom. I was showing 5 ' in places which gave me about 1' of clearance.
I was thinking of going through Knapps narrows westbound from the Choptank, I called one of the marinas on the narrows. When I told her what I draw, she recommended I not try it. My last time through was sometime in 2012. I went aground between green 5 and red 6. It took a good 45 minutes to cover the distance to red 6 where I had deep water.
Ernest Kraus
sv Magic Kingdom.

I made it through Poplar Island narrows with no problem. I'm not sure about Knapps. On the eastern side, the only red is at the entrance. There are 2 greens on the approach. Past experience is that I could not hug the greens as it shoaled considerably on the green side; probably from n/ne winds. Moving further out helped some but there are lumps on which I got hung up. For the extra hour or so, it's easier to go around the southern tip of Tilghman Island.
Fair winds,
Ernest
sv Magic Kingdom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.