1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
Ask them how it performs with continuous submersion in salt water. I suspect they'll say "not intended for that use".

OTOH you can still buy cold zinc paint, and repaint with that. But if you can find someplace to do a hot dip, that's still supposed to be the most effective and cheapest solution long term.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like an interesting idea. And, I wonder if it would mark the deck (rub off)?
No, I don't think so. When apply to rust, POR15 forms a chemical bond to the rust and yields quite durable hard finish. However POR15 is not UV stable, so you have to put a top coat on it.

POR15 comes with black and silver colors.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I'm a big fan of POR-15 for stuff in the engine room, etc, but I wouldn't bother with it for anchor chain.

I've used it to tidy up a few of rust spots that periodically surface on my Manson anchor, and after a few months of use, it looked no different than before...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
For the amount you'll spend on POR treating, then repainting...dealing with all the hassle, just buy new chain. POR is expensive stuff. $50 a quart. How many quarts are you going to go through for 100-200 feet of chain.

Gr 40 Windlass Anchor Chain

Free freight, new chain. Try to sell your old chain for salvage value. You could probably get $100-$150 for it.

Defender is cheaper, but shipping something like this kills the "deal"

·
Barquito
3,756 Posts
No, I don't think so. When apply to rust, POR15 forms a chemical bond to the rust and yields quite durable hard finish. However POR15 is not UV stable, so you have to put a top coat on it.
Would that even be a problem? Most of the chain would be either in the locker or under the water.

·
Master Mariner
9,220 Posts
The only thing one can do with rusty anchor chain is hot dip galvanizing. No paint can stay on chain when it drags over the bottom as the boat swings, even on a sandy bottom.
We bought US hot dip galvanized chain in November and it is already beginning to rust, so even that isn't as good as it used to be. Of course, we use our chain every day, but still, I used to get 5 years plus on US chain, under the same conditions in the 70's. Might as well get Chinese chain for the difference in price, because it can't be worse than this stuff.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
just drag the chain on the beach behind a quad...then use cheap galv paint...jejeje

no paint job is worth it on anchor chain other than for depth markers when scoping out

·
Registered
50 Posts
I used POR 15 to treat a cast iron keel on a previous boat. It held up fine for two years in salt water, although it was under several layers of Interprotect and a coat of antifouling paint. I would think that prepping the chain properly would be hours on hours of work...

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the inputs. It looks like it is not worth the effort using POR15 in this case for many reasons.

To close the end. I received an answer from the maker of POR15. Here is their reply:
====================
Ticket status: Completed

Department: General

Subject: Marine Application

You can apply POR-15 to any metal surface you wish to protect against rust and corrosion. We normally recommend applying 3 coats of POR-15 if the application is going to be submerged in water for long periods of time. It does not make a difference between the black and the silver. The POR is UV sensitive and will require a topcoat over it. Something like the Hardnose paint would be good for that application.

Sincerely,
Absolute Coatings, inc.
====================

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
I used POR 15 to treat a cast iron keel on a previous boat. It held up fine for two years in salt water, although it was under several layers of Interprotect and a coat of antifouling paint. I would think that prepping the chain properly would be hours on hours of work...
cool

I used the cold galvanizing paint on my iron keel in spots, then primer then antifoul

well see how long it lasts:)

I was fighting tides and stuff so thats the reason for that decision

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.