SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a bare-boat charter in the week following the Flotilla sailing with Sunsail, out of Poros, September 12-19.
Than I would leave Poros on the 19th on a 343 Oceanis but since night sailing is not allowed I may have to leave early on Sunday the 20th.
I wonder if it is feasible to plan such long legs (Poros-Santorini Poros)for 6 days and hope to have one or two days on the beach in Santorini. Also, what would bi the best stop over, Milos?
Thank you for your views and advice.

·
Eileen of Avoca
15 Posts
In September it's about 12 hours between sunrise and sunset in Greece so if you can't sail at night you probably have a daily range of less than 60 nautical miles (working on a 5kt average speed).
While the winds would be favourable (predominantly from the North), it's 70 to 80 miles to get to Milos so you might be hard pressed to manage the leg in daylight hours.
I would head for Kythnos and then follow the islands of Serifos, Sifnos, Ios, Thera so that you have more sightseeing and plenty of bolt-holes if the weather gets ugly. Keep in mind that the Meltemi winds will be at their peak in August/September!
All this in 6 days? Well... I guess it's feasible.... but only if you are very lucky with the weather and or willing to deal with a mutinous crew. ;-)
I'll be doing my best to be out of the Cyclades before the Meltemi blows.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your experienced advice.
I had a sense of it myself but needed someone who has evidently done a lot of sailing there to comment.
We are getting our feet wet in the first week with the flotilla and will take it from there; most likely we will hug the islands as you suggested.
All the best.
Vladimir

1 - 3 of 3 Posts