SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please suggest a good book/guide for a trip up the Texas ICW from Port Aransas to the Galveston area? My wife and I will be moving our boat and are taking off a week to make a leisurely trip out of it.
I need info on places to dock and any hazards along the way...locks, bridges...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Either Skipper Bob or the Waterway Guide will give you information on the ICW from Port A to Galveston. A stop over at Port O'Connor one night and Freeport the next night, then on to Galveston would work fairly well. The Colorado locks and Brazos River flood gates need to be payed particular attention to. Information is on the web about both. Safe voyage to you and your wife.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have checked out Active Captain but was looking for more detail.
Bob, can you make Port A to Port O in 12 hours through the ditch or is that pushing it? We really did not want to navigate in the dark if we can help it.
Would you recommend one over the other: Skipper Bob vs. Waterway Guide?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Skipper Bob's is a good reference and also the Texas Cruising Guide (do a web search). We moved our boat in January from Kemah to Port A. We went out in the Gulf and did it overnight. Our only problem was our weather window that we picked gave us no wind and we motored all but the last two hours.

·
O'day 26
206 Posts
check out the texas 200 site, if I am not mistaken they sail part of that route and have some recomendations for guides they use in their planning.

·
Large Member
1,000 Posts
Better Idea maybe...

Check out "Guide to Cruising Texas / Southern & Central Coast" by Jay & Buffy Corzine. 361/920-2423 He is in Rockport or you can order and he will ship it.
There may be a retail outlet in Corpus as well.

Campbells Guide to Cruising Texas is good but it has not been updated since the past few hurricanes. I think they are holding back publishing it until later this year.

Also, don't overlook the "Hook & Line fishing maps". They actually are updated more often than the traditional charts.

These are best to be used along with traditional charts which can be purchased other places or downloaded from Noaa.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts