SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find covers / blinds / curtains or other form of privacy "dressing" for the bronze oval ports on my Pacific Seacraft Orion. Anyone found a sutiable product?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
there are a few options. if you dont want to look out when the ports are closed get some self adhesive frosting. another cheap option if you can sew is a cloth cover with either elastic or draw strings. or even easier is some cloth pieces with some velcro sewed on and some velcro patches above the port, and you just stick them on when needed, its what i am doing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don Casey had a good idea in one of his books. Glue two wooded drawer pulls to each side of the port, run shock cord with a loop on each end thru the top of the curtain. The loops fit over the knobs, inline with the hinge. Undo one loop, open the port(or close) and redo.

·
Registered
696 Posts
We made some covers with an elastic drawstring and installed four wooden thumbtack-type corners to hook the drawstring on. Wish I could find a picture.

·
Registered
79 Posts
On my boat I have window inserts made of that foil-covered bubble wrap insulation, and they do excellent double duty as a privacy screen. They block light and views entirely if that's what you're looking for.

Just get a roll of the stuff, cut it to fit in your inner window sills (adding a little extra to make sure they crinkle in and stay put), then just stick them in when you want them and store them when you don't.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I bought some fabric and found a lady on Craig's List to sew some simple curtains for me. She sewed a 3/4" pocket on the top for shock cord to run through and hemmed the edges. I bought some small C clips (don't know what they are called) from a rigging shop and ran the cord through them, and tied knots on each end. If I want to open them, I tuck them up into the shock cord. Simple, effective, and the whole deal probably cost me $100.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
What are you doing in there that you are so desperate to hide from your neighbors ???
The same things you do in your house that require curtains Sailormann! Or, maybe you don't have curtains in your house, and your neighbors are the ones that are "desperate"!:eek:

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
hell i need to sew up a bunch of simple curtains and sell em here. i could do em 5 bucks a curtain out of denim and make money, min order 4. they would take me 3 mins each to sew.

i can pretty much make anything with a machine, it takes me about 2 hours to start and finish a kilt out of denim.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts