SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the group:
I'm sailing from Port Hardy to Ketchikan this summer, part of relocating my boat from Puget Sound to Alaska (got as far as Sointula last summer). Looking for advice on best routing, time, places to see, etc.
My current thinking is leaving Sointula in mid-June and following the north side of Queen Charlotte Sound (Blunden Harbour / Allison Harbour), then up through Fitz Hough Sound and on up past Klemtu, through Greenville Channel, etc. to Ketchikan. Is there a better routing for a smallish sailboat (San Juan28)? Is earlier or later in the season better for weather? Anybody else sailing north this summer?

·
19,488 Posts
If you intend to actually do some sailing I think I'd jump off from Bull Harbour.. the extra westing may give you better angles across QC Sound heading for, say, Fury Cove as a first stop. By then you're nearly back 'inside'. Up Fitzhugh with a stop at Pruth Bay on Calvert Is. and a hike to the beaches on the outside would be on my list. Bella Bella/Millbank Sound and up into Finlayson then on via Klemtu/Butedale it's all inside til you're nearly at Prince Rupert.

The upper reaches of Mathieson and Finlayson channel and an area now known as 'Fiordland' includes Kynoch inlet with its waterfalls, tidal flats and Culpepper lagoon. Grizzly country!

If it's not a pure delivery trip with some time for excursions then up towards Namu, Ocean Falls, Bella Coola (eg cirumnav King Island) would give you opportunity to stop at a couple of hot springs and some historical locations (Alexander McKenzie rock, for ex.) Remote inlets like Dean Channel would be similar to Bute and Toba inlets further south. The Dean River is a well known Steelhead fishing area. As a kid I remember seeing the still-standing remains of an aboriginal longhouse on the flats at Kimsquit on the Dean delta.

Either way it should be a memorable trip!

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
If you intend to actually do some sailing I think I'd jump off from Bull Harbour.. the extra westing may give you better angles across QC Sound heading for, say, Fury Cove as a first stop. By then you're nearly back 'inside'. Up Fitzhugh with a stop at Pruth Bay on Calvert Is. and a hike to the beaches on the outside would be on my list. Bella Bella/Millbank Sound and up into Finlayson then on via Klemtu/Butedale it's all inside til you're nearly at Prince Rupert.

The upper reaches of Mathieson and Finlayson channel and an area now known as 'Fiordland' includes Kynoch inlet with its waterfalls, tidal flats and Culpepper lagoon. Grizzly country!

If it's not a pure delivery trip with some time for excursions then up towards Namu, Ocean Falls, Bella Coola (eg cirumnav King Island) would give you opportunity to stop at a couple of hot springs and some historical locations (Alexander McKenzie rock, for ex.) Remote inlets like Dean Channel would be similar to Bute and Toba inlets further south. The Dean River is a well known Steelhead fishing area. As a kid I remember seeing the still-standing remains of an aboriginal longhouse on the flats at Kimsquit on the Dean delta.

Either way it should be a memorable trip!
We used to fish out of Hakai Beach Resort in Pruth Bay from the time it was built, about 1992 to 2009, when it was sold to the Hakai Institute:

Boaters |

It appears they still allow access, with some restrictions, to the beaches on the outside, which we used to visit. Well worth the short hike/walk. Bring a rod, we used to catch salmon in all the surrounding waters, many times not far from the Institue, beautiful country.

Paul T

1 - 6 of 6 Posts