SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the gaskets in my bronze port lights. The boat manufacturer went out of business eons ago. I can get the dimensions from the old gaskets, but where do I go to find new material, and what material should I look for? Neoprene? Something else?
It's simple square cross section.
Thanks for any help.
John V.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Check the compressibility. McMaster stuff is sold in several durometers. You don't want it like camper tape but you don't wand it like tire material. Neoprene, Santoprene, silicone should all be fine. You'll probably want it with single sided adhesive. It's best to get adhesive that's acrylic based to prevent compatability issues. Huge. All this info is usually available in the part descriptions. Also, on the MC pages, look for "About Tape" ( or rubber or whatever you're looking for )at the top of the page. It expands to give you lots of great info on materials and the like.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Vallelj,

A thought you might consider. We also have bronze ports on our older boat. We used the rubber & synthetic 1/4 inch square seals. But the often became gummy and tended to stick and rot in the tropics.

A couple of years ago I switched to using shaft packing material. It comes in about the exact size, is dirt cheep and has lasted MUCH better than the other stuff.

Greg

·
Lou Ann
48 Posts
Greetings,

We have a 1987 Pacific Seacraft 34 where we redid all 10 bronze oval port lights (four large 8 x 13 and six small 5 x 8).

Once we took the lights off their top hinge bolt, we replaced the laminated glass, used butyl tape for bedding, tapped new threads for the screws to secure the inner flange and used new gaskets from White Water Marine - 1-800-572-8871, located in Clearwater Florida.

The entire project from removal to install was about 20 hours.

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Valley-

Are you asking about gaskets for opening portlights or asking about re-sealing non-opening portlights?

Dele- That's pretty clever, using shaft packing material. I might try that.

·
Registered
557 Posts
....SNIP....
Dele- That's pretty clever, using shaft packing material. I might try that.
It's working GREAT for us. One caution, if you get the type that has wax in it, for the first few HOT days, it might seep some out. It's best if you can find the old type that is just braided cotton and use mineral oil on it once a year or so.

It is FAR better than the rubber stuff! :D

Greg

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Just because the maker of the boat is out of business, does not mean the maker of the port-lights is. I don't think many made there own. Are there any markings on the ports themselves? Replacements may well be available. If you are resealing the port itself butyl is likely the easiest and best solution. What model boat is it?

·
Registered
698 Posts
It doesn't sound to me like you need gaskets at all. When you bed something you are, in effect, making your own gaskets.

FWIW - Silicone is almost always messy, although it works fine. Butyl tape is every bit as good and not at all messy.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bubblehead, to answer your question I'm referring to the rubber(?) gasket material that seals the opening light against its frame, not the material used to bed the bronze flanges to the cabin sides. For the latter I've used 4200 but plan to switch to butyl tape.
Miatapaul, good point. I'll look for some sort of mark though I've rebedded several so far and haven't noticed anything.
Delezynski, where do you get shaft packing?
Thanks for the replies to date.
John V.

·
Registered
557 Posts
...SNIP...
Delezynski, where do you get shaft packing?
...SNIP...
John V.
John,

Any marine store like Defender Marine or worst Marine and MANY others.... :)

Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts