SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I know the title of this thread is going to get several "here we go again" for such a common issue. But here it is anyway. I have 6 Beckson port lights that leaked between the rubber gasket and the plastic window. The inside and outside frames are water tight. So I replaced all the gaskets and then found I had to loosen up the cams ALOT to even get the windows closed. No big, as the gaskets are new and thick. Four months after replacement, I got tired of feeling like I was going to break a cam, so I loosened one window up to experiment and it leaked. Is there some sort of gasket lubricant that will help with the closing and sealing? Thanks.

Dave

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Silicon grease is good stuff.

Those Beckson seals can be a PITA. They do start to compress eventually and opening and closing the port gets easier. My boat still has the thumbscrews (the cams are an "upgrade") and I think they make it a bit easier to work with the new gaskets. I don't know if switching back to the thumbscrews is an option for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.