SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
278 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good, fast, portable battery charger? My boat was pulled last weekend by the marina and I'm heading up there tomorrow to finish putting her to bed. The batteries should already be topped off, but I'm looking to prepare myself for having to "top off" the batteries. I mean, what if I go up to the boat, which has been off of shorepower (and all DC switches on the panel turned off) for about a week, and I test the batteries and they show 75% full? My thought is I would plug in a car-style 12V battery charger to top off the batteries. I have two 4Ds for house, and one Group 31 for a starting battery. So I would charge each of them individually.

The boat is more than two hours away though, and I'm thinking I'll be spending probably about 4 hours up there doing what I need to do. Is that even enough time for a car-style battery charger to top off the batteries?

Another alternative is that I WOULD be able to simply plug in my boat to "shore power" using an adapter on a conventional extension cord plugged into a normal 110v wall outlet. Would that charge the batteries to full in the small amount of time?

Thanks for any advice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.