SailNet Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm grumpy so even saying "Hi" is a definite stretch!

Dometic 25 litre/quart portable frudge/freezer gave up'n died. Can't see how to regass it even if I could find the leak.
It was at its life expectancy so was intending to replace it next year when in the USA.
But in the expensive Caribbean and need one shipped from the US.

I was thinking about the Engle 22 quart/litre to be used as a freezer only. See link.
Has someone compared Engle to Dometic? Engle is double the price so want to see if it's worth it.

Thoughts??

Thanks,

Mark

Reactions: eherlihy

·
Registered
24,556 Posts
Pretty sure @deniseO30 (HVAC career) just said, in a other thread, she thinks the compressor unit in the Engel is superior.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
bell ringer
5,427 Posts
I have some cruiser friends with one who have used it 2 years in Bahamas and it has been good.

Definitely better than nothing!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,436 Posts
Failure on these little refrigeration units is almost electrical,air flow, most
never need refrigerant that's why they don't have access valves,

Minn, I like the swing compressor because they have very low starting torque I don't know if they're Superior, just more of a personal choice. :)

·
Registered
24,556 Posts
In New England, we always buy the more expensive unit. This way, if it fails, the anger keeps us warmer in the shoulder seasons.

·
Registered
510 Posts
We have an Engel 35l unit. They are very reliable, simple and longlasting. Not as sophisticated and advanced as some of the opposition.

Their durable nature is a great attribute on a long distance cruising boat. Most users report they last almost forever even when abused, but I would not pay 2x the price over the Dometic. The advantantage of these self contained fridge/freezers is their disposable nature. If they break, (and even the Engel units do occasionally fail) throw them away and buy a new one (unless it is a simple DIY fix). This is a major advantage over conventional marine units that can rapidily acumulate an expensive repair bill especially when you have to wait for spare parts and/or someone with the knowledge and equipment to repair the fault.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
You're not allowed to be Grumpy looking at the color of that water and a white sandy beach! Break out another $1.000 and have a another cocktail for me. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm on the fence with Mark. Eyeballing the Engel 45 Marine version vs a Dometic CFX3 45. Within a franklin ($100) of each other and both getting fairly equal reviews. They appear somewhat comparable in 12v power usage unless someone has additional input? I'm looking to set-up the Y2K, California "Big One" quake, Earth vs Asteroid Collision, now Delta Variant food bank/stockpile while in the Bahamas. Love to hear others first hand experiences with these.

Don
SV Bonzai
2000 Leopard 38+

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Mark.
I cannot answer your question on comparing the Engel to the Dometic.
But will vouch for the efficiency and toughness of the Engel.
I worked in the Pilbara in WA in the late 70's. We did service work on the rail line from Hedland to Mt Newman.
The Engel was in the back of the Nissan Patrol all the time. Knocked and bounced around.
Operating in extreme temperatures way above the specs for years. Dropped, Kicked. Rolled.
Almost through the front windscreen in a emergency brake situation.
They never die!
Stole it and loaded it onto the boat to sail around SE Asia for three years.
On its side for a couple of days when it fell off the bunk and we weren't aboard.
Oh, and they keep things cold too.

They may be expensive but they are bloody good.
Pascale gives it a rave in F.R. Camera accessory Rectangle Printer accessory Font Cameras & optics S.

gary

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have this engle

I bought it during an amazon sale for $699. It was quite a bit off. This thing is tough, keeps food at 37 degrees on 1.5 (top setting is 5) in 90 degree florida heat. Uses little power. My single 160W solar has no trouble keeping up with it running all the time along with charging my laptop, ipad, phones and using lights.

I did a fair amount of research. I liked this one that Engle recommends for marine due to its tough ABS shell. The metal ones do rust over time.

·
Registered
Bristol 29.9
365 Posts
I have this engle

I bought it during an amazon sale for $699. It was quite a bit off. This thing is tough, keeps food at 37 degrees on 1.5 (top setting is 5) in 90 degree florida heat. Uses little power. My single 160W solar has no trouble keeping up with it running all the time along with charging my laptop, ipad, phones and using lights.

I did a fair amount of research. I liked this one that Engle recommends for marine due to its tough ABS shell. The metal ones do rust over time.
I could have written this exact same post. Bump up the solar to two 100 watt panels and change the location to cruising in the Bahamas and up and down the U.S. East Coast, and my post would be identical. We’ve had ours for two years now and are very happy with it.

·
Dirt Free
2,942 Posts
My Engle lasted 18 months, no one interested in repairing. Now expensive landfill.

·
Administrator
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Engle lasted 18 months, no one interested in repairing. Now expensive landfill.
Thanks mate, I ordered it Thursday. Lolol

Mark

Reactions: boatpoker

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,620 Posts
Late to this party, but: i have a Dometic cf-50 that had been great for 5 years. This spring, while coming up the ICW it crapped out on me. I was able to put it in EMERGENCY OVERRIDE mode, and manually turned the unit on and off to modulate the temperature.

Once home i ordered a new MAIN PCB for $70, and the unit is working fine now.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife

·
Bluescruiser
Hinckley Bermuda 40
85 Posts
we bought a Dometic in the spring, very pleased with it, particularly the ability to go AC/DC. after our cruise, I loaned it to my son when his home reefer went kaput. I think all of these portable refrigerators use Danfoss compressors. The differences are circuit boards and capacities.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,620 Posts
we bought a Dometic in the spring, very pleased with it, particularly the ability to go AC/DC. after our cruise, I loaned it to my son when his home reefer went kaput. I think all of these portable refrigerators use Danfoss compressors. The differences are circuit boards and capacities.
Yes, part of the reason that I chose the Dometic was that it used the Danfoss BD35 compressor. The compressor will run on 12-24VDC AND 100-240VAC (50 or 60 Hz) The compressor displays error codes. Below is the table of what the flashes mean.
  • 5 Thermal cut-out of electronic unit (If the refrigeration system has been too heavily loaded or if the ambient temperature is high, the electronic unit will run too hot).
  • 4 Minimum motor speed error (If the refrigeration system is too heavily loaded, the motor cannot maintain minimum speed 1,850 rpm).
  • 3 Motor start error (The rotor is blocked or the differential pressure in the refrigeration system is too high (>5 bar)).
  • 2 Fan over-current cut-out (The fan loads the electronic unit with more than 1Apeak).
  • 1 Battery protection cut-out (The voltage is outside the cut-out setting).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts