·
bell ringer
4,866 Posts
feeling bad for people and protecting idiots aren't the same

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Whatever.

Guess you don't realize some people are not as gifted as you.

Still think you have a piss poor attitude. Get over your self

·
bell ringer
4,866 Posts
Whatever.

Guess you don't realize some people are not as gifted as you.

Still think you have a piss poor attitude. Get over your self
Where the hell and how do you come up with these crazy crap posts? Are you on some weird drug or something that allows to to read something and twist it into a Twilight Zone thing?

·
Crazy Woman Boat Driver
840 Posts
My biggest worry of Carbon monoxide poisoning is not my Honda generator but the engine itself. I have seen too many older boats where the engine exhaust system has deteriorated to the point of leaking underway or while recharging batteries at anchor. Here is a typical scenario on the east coast and Bahamas; Current is one way and wind is from the opposite side. Boat faces downwind. Morning rolls around and boater starts engine/generator to charge batteries and/or make breakfast. Exhaust rolls into the cockpit and down the companionway. Real scenario, a friend lost his boat and almost his life in the middle of the Atlantic because of an exhaust system failure. The biggest question (elephant in the room) is how many folks have a Carbon monoxide detector in the area of the engine exhaust run inside their boat?? For most boats that would mean the rear staterooms. The marine parts stores don't carry a lot of exhaust hoses for decorations.

Even bigger question is why doesn't the NMMA and other boat standards require a Carbon monoxide detector installed from boat manufactures and boat owners?? There seems to be rules on other safety equipment required; fire extinguishers, life jackets sound producing equipment. Carbon monoxide detectors should be required in all boats. I have 2.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
"But I don't support overly protecting idiots. In fact I'm for allowing idiots to do whatever damage to themselves as they wish. As we say in New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"".
?your words not mine, Don. Seems pretty egocentric. See fellow sailors from lack of knowledge or thought get in to all kinds of difficulties. Always try to help if I can. Know I've done and will do stupid stuff. Guess your just better than us.

Good to know the 2000 will run on a slant. Good to know if properly done noise comparable to below deck units. Still not a fan but can see merit in the other side of discussion

·
bell ringer
4,866 Posts
"But I don't support overly protecting idiots. In fact I'm for allowing idiots to do whatever damage to themselves as they wish. As we say in New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"".
?your words not mine, Don. Seems pretty egocentric. See fellow sailors from lack of knowledge or thought get in to all kinds of difficulties. Always try to help if I can. Know I've done and will do stupid stuff. Guess your just better than us.
Not better than "us" probably. :wink

I still don't know how you have twisted this. I stand by not overly protecting idiots! Don't know how that applies to "fellow Sailors" unless they are idiots as in how it applies to this thread of running a gas generator and not having a CO2 detector.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Carbon monoxide is the issue not carbon dioxide.

CO detectors are available at most Lowes Home Depot Walmart and other big box stores also single unit CO and smoke detectors.

CO2 makes drinks fizzy, CO a product of combustion kills.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Note to OP... Buy the Honda or whatever small generator you happen to like for the $$$ involved. If you're running the generator keep it as far from any open areas where the wind will blow the CO into the cabin. CO is similar to air in density so it will linger where it is exhausted from the generator... you can't get away from this phenomena... just keep it away from the cabin... outside of this the dangers are no different than filling gasoline into the outboard tank(s), filling the fuel tanks with diesel, etc. Even filling alcohol into the Origo canisters have their own hidden dangers.

What you don't need are the hyperbole and nonsense you're reading here unless of course you've never filled your car with gasoline or filled the mower tanks with fuel, or started a fire pit or charcoal grill... and who hasn't done that? Silly thread! Melrna seems to have more [email protected] than some here! ;)

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Melnra is my hero - I've known her for several years and she's probably among the best captains on the forum.

My son told me tonight that he has figured a way to send his genset exhaust underwater, which is neat. Much quieter and safer. I asked about back pressure and he said the exhaust hose will only be about an inch beneath the surface and it shouldn't be a problem according to the manufacturer.

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
22,122 Posts
.....Melrna seems to have more [email protected] than some here! ;)
Mel is a great contributor and experienced Captain and we're fortunate to have her point of view. Can't speak for her, but most woman I know are not a fan of that sexist way of describing fortitude.

She's also not in the habit of calling others names, when they have a different point of view.

There are valid points of view from both the gasoline portable crowd and the inboard diesel crowd. There is no win here.

·
Dirt Free
2,659 Posts
Even bigger question is why doesn't the NMMA and other boat standards require a Carbon monoxide detector installed
ABYC A-24 Carbon Monoxide Detection Systems (required since 2008).

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Mel is a great contributor and experienced Captain and we're fortunate to have her point of view. Can't speak for her, but most woman I know are not a fan of that sexist way of describing fortitude.

She's also not in the habit of calling others names, when they have a different point of view.

There are valid points of view from both the gasoline portable crowd and the inboard diesel crowd. There is no win here.
No need to feel thin skinned Minne... Yes we all know Melrna and she has been exemplary here and she is an incredible contributor... My point was if she has done the portable generator use why do some question it if they themselves do not have one? Why not take her advice as well as others that ACTUALLY have the Hondas or other generators and instead of ranting about the use and the knowledge of the user why not let it go? Why not buy one and go through the paces of using one before questioning the ability or experience of users of these generators, the carefulness of placement of these units, and the protection from CO in the form of CO monitors throughout the cabin... What I and others that have the units and the CO monitors don't need are blatant blowhards such as has been read on this thread... Get a unit and then have a say about it's use, hazards, etc... instead of ranting while having a 5-10k generator onboard your vessel doing the same thing albeit exhaust gases blown into the water but CO still there if sitting motionless right?

·
Dirt Free
2,659 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,760 Posts
No need to feel thin skinned Minne... Yes we all know Melrna and she has been exemplary here and she is an incredible contributor... My point was if she has done the portable generator use why do some question it if they themselves do not have one? Why not take her advice as well as others that ACTUALLY have the Hondas or other generators and instead of ranting about the use and the knowledge of the user why not let it go? Why not buy one and go through the paces of using one before questioning the ability or experience of users of these generators, the carefulness of placement of these units, and the protection from CO in the form of CO monitors throughout the cabin... What I and others that have the units and the CO monitors don't need are blatant blowhards such as has been read on this thread... Get a unit and then have a say about it's use, hazards, etc... instead of ranting while having a 5-10k generator onboard your vessel doing the same thing albeit exhaust gases blown into the water but CO still there if sitting motionless right?
Completely rude and 150% unnecessary..

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Completely rude and 150% unnecessary..
MaineSail.... Sorry you feel this way... But others were just as rude citing 'Darwin Awards' and stupidity for using these generators... those aren't my words... maybe look back at some of the comments... I'm sure they were just as rude and unnecessary as well... we're all not stupid idiots here are we?

·
Registered
22,122 Posts
No need to feel thin skinned Minne...
It's not me you may have offended, perhaps not even Mel. But many women don't like the "balls" comment. You own it now.

...why do some question it if they themselves do not have one?
Who have you parsed out that has one? I have one. I also have an inboard diesel.

Why not take her advice as well as others that ACTUALLY have the Hondas or other generators and instead of ranting about the use and the knowledge of the user why not let it go?
That logic doesn't equally apply to those with diesels?

What I and others that have the units and the CO monitors don't need are blatant blowhards such as has been read on this thread...
Yea. Name calling anyone that doesn't see it your way. There is more than one valid perspective on this.

Get a unit and then have a say about it's use, hazards, etc... instead of ranting while having a 5-10k generator onboard your vessel doing the same thing albeit exhaust gases blown into the water but CO still there if sitting motionless right?
I own both, do you? The inboard diesel is substantially better and safer, IMO. I doubt you're now convinced. Although, I have only engaged in this thread with respect to the relative safety of diesel exhaust v gasoline exhaust. I don't really care which anyone uses and see both points of view.

Reactions: outbound

·
Registered
22,122 Posts
As far as etiquette goes, I don't fall completely on the side of banning all generators. In fact, I find the sound of a wind generator to be substantially more annoying than an engine. I also believe that the splashing water from an inboard genset is pretty tame, although, I know it annoys others. It doesn't sound and different to me than water splashing ashore or under a sugar scoop transom. Granted, the sound of a buzzing generator on deck annoys many.

The answer is to be considerate. Both ways. If the wind is honking and your neighbors couldn't possibly hear your genset, then it doesn't really matter what you do. When still, especially at night, being considerate is called for. Don't run your generator anymore than you would play loud music everyone could hear, while sleeping. Beyond that, knock yourself out.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I don't care or need an inboard generator for the size boat I have. I don't need one for it's electrical needs as I don't need a hairdryer for my hair... second YES the balls comment was to indicate Melrna has more strength and sensibility then some of the 'men' here! YES I own that phrase and proud of it! I could care less you own both... but now seeing that you DO own a portable generator why didn't you just come out and praise the benefits of using one and careful placement to avoid CO instead of acting as if anyone using one is an idiot or agreeing they deserve a Darwin award?

If you've ever been in the NAVY then you know 'blatant blowhard' is used quite often without anyone getting 'thin skinned' offended! Grow a pair!

·
Registered
22,122 Posts
.....why didn't you just come out and praise the benefits of using one and careful placement to avoid CO instead of acting as if anyone using one is an idiot or agreeing they deserve a Darwin award?
Care to quote any of my posts above that acted like anyone was an idiot or agreed with the Darwin comment?

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,689 Posts
There really can be no question that gasoline engines generate more CO than diesel engines. Melissa (who I am happy to call my friend) is correct that we should also be as concerned about the exhaust systems of fixed engines. At some point, regardless of your risk threshold, the difference between 1 in 10,000 and one in 1,000,000 (the order of magnitude is right, round numbers to make a point) makes little difference if you are the '1' affected.

As noted, ABYC recommendations include gas sensors (propane and CO and smoke). I am not aware of USCG regulation except on inspected vessels (i.e. not us). I am not aware of service intervals defined for much of anything by ABYC or USCG (or CE or Lloyds, et al) except for flares, fire extinguishers, and EPIRBs. I may not be remembering something.

Practically speaking a diesel exhaust leak is going to be smoky and smelly and sometimes wet and steamy. Gasoline engine exhaust leaks are more pernicious.

Mel's point about wind against current is well taken and a good reason for exhausting generators through the side. Not perfect, but better.

It is worth noting that the sensors in CO detectors have a service life. Service life begins at the time of manufacture of the sensor, not the device as a whole. That means the device you purchase could be a couple of years old already when you take it out of the box. High end sensors last 10 years; cheaper ones about five. This is a case of getting what you pay for. The failure mode is false negative (that is, the sensor stops sensing anything). I buy good ones and replace them at about five years.

It is my experience that sharing an anchorage with high frequency noise is more disruptive than lower frequency noise. Other people may have different sensitivities. I find small gasoline generators as irritating as a mosquito circling my head. I suggest the same human audio frequency response is why some (not all) wind generators are similarly unpopular neighbors. For most inbuilt diesel generators the most significant intrusion is splashing of cooling water. You can make that go away with a gas/water separator, but I digress.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts