SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I have got a '79 Formosa with some very bad looking bronze portholes. As you can see on the photo, there are some dark (black) corroded areas. It looks like the bronze has been plated on top of an other metal. Can that be right? Does anybody know how to get them nice and polished again?

·
BJV
242 Posts
They are old brass ones and pretty rugged. I had a few which were real bad and replaced them with ones made by Newfound Metals. The others I removed and rebeded, using a drill with a bronze wire brush to clean them up.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If your not afraid to experiment, this is what I'm doing:
Magic #16: Fun With 10 Amps and a Bucket of Caustic Solution

You need to pull the ports off the boat though.
That is cool!

I had a similar issue with my outboard bracket mounts, the aluminum was pitted and corroded so I wanted to clean them up and paint them for added protection. Sanding the deeply pitted corroded parts would have been impossible to do right. I have a friend with access to a small boxed in sandblaster. Took about 2 minutes per piece and every single bit of corrosion was gone, leaving just the clean metal underneath. Machinist shops often have these units that may work for you as well, though the electrolysis method might leave a shinier and easier to polish finish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts