SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to reseal my portholes on my 1984 Catalina 30. The aluminum on the cabin side of a couple of the portholes also appears to be blistered as well and that seems to be where the leaks are coming from. Do I need to replace the interior part of the porthole with a new frame or is there some kind of epoxy or bonding agent that I can use to repair the aluminum. What kind of material should I use for a gasket? Is there a gasket that is made specifically for this porthole based on year and boat manufacturer? For instance through Catalina Direct or do I hand cut it to fit? Is there a sealant that is used instead? Thanks for any help or directions to various links that might be able to instruct me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you want to replace the aluminum interior covers for your Catalina boat one place to look is Catalina Direct:

without seeing a picture to the "blistering" on the aluminum hard saying what to recommend, you probably could try an epoxy with a thickening agent for a repair. the interior aluminum cover doesn't see that much stress so it might work okay. You could then prime the aluminum with Interlux's Interprotect 2000e comes in white or gray. However you will need to sand the metal prior to priming with a 40 or 60 grit sandpaper for good bonding. Then paint if you wish with a 2-part paint or single part paint. I am finding two part paints hold up better.

As mentioned/recommended above use butyl tape a good source for it is at Maine Sail's website

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all who responded with good advice and suggested links to my request for information to re-bed my porthoels.
:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts