SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to add some local knowledge.If you are going to Port Jefferson on the right side of the harbor on your way in is Conscience Bay. There is big mooring field and a great protected anchorage just next to it. If u dont want the hassle of trying to dinghy to Port Jefferson, dinghy into Setauket Harbor right across from the anchorage. My boat lives on a mooring
there. The first dock with slips on the left with slips is Setauket Harbor Marine (my home marina) which is private but sells ice. The next dock on the left just after the marina is a town dinghy dock.You can tie up your dinghy there free. Walk up the street past Kayak Store on the corner is a great deli for breakfast, a across the street is a wine/liqour store. On the next corner is a great little pub called the country corner that has a great tap and bottle beer selection and lots of live music.
next to the pub in a littleshopping mall is a butcher,bank Italian Resturant and futher down supermarket,chinese and pizza place etcetc . All just 10 minute dinghy ride from your anchorage.If you are coming thru PM me and stop by to say hello. Enjoy

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Thanks Scotty Port Jeff is one of my favorite stops. That's a good weekend trip for me. I usually pick up a mooring in town, The new showers are kinda nice. But I should anchor more often, break out the dinghy and explore.

·
Banned
12,357 Posts
Thanks Scotty Port Jeff is one of my favorite stops. That's a good weekend trip for me. I usually pick up a mooring in town, The new showers are kinda nice. But I should anchor more often, break out the dinghy and explore.
Port Jeff has always been one of our stops frequenting the LI Sound. Great jump off for the trip to the end of the Sound. Eclectic town, many different ethnic restaurants and shops.

We have anchored which is a long dinghy ride as well as picked up a mooring from the Seatauket Yacht Club

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Scotty, are you talking about the anchorage just behind Old Field beach? Didn't think it was possible to go all the way into Conscience Bay with a large boat.

Any local knowledge about the warning entering Mt Misery Cove about picking up moorings if you don't have a permit? I used to spend the night on one during the week, but now will spend a few hours during the afternoon and then move to anchor behind Old Field.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes i should have been more specific. the anchorage is right behind Old Field Beach.
we just call the whole area Conscience which is misleading. Apologies for the confusion. Old Field beach will show on your e charts etc

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I'm usually moored in Mt. Sinai though I head over to Port Jeff a lot after Labor Day and into October for a quick little cruise from time to time. I have picked up an empty mooring in the cove for a day or two just to hang out. Most times I'm the only boat there. Would never do that during the summer. Also spend time in Conscience Bay lots of moorings not being used if you don't want to anchor. Just be ready to drop off if the owner wants it and pick up another. I also use to have a boat in Setauket Harbor and agree with Scotty the dingy ride is much nicer than heading to PJ. Supermarkets in Setauket are much closer too. An pretty easy walk though you might want to take a cab back if you have a lot of provisions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts