SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently purchased an oval deck pipe to replace the large heavy cowling vent that used to be on my deck.

One question. What orientation to give it?

I see a lot of boat with them mounted sideway but my instinct is to mount it with the hole facing back.

·
19,489 Posts
Don't much think it matters.. it may be best to put it so the chain leads cleanly down the hole if the anchor is stored on deck.

If you bury the bow a little water's going to find its way in there either way. Be good to have an overboard drain from the chain/rode storage area below.

·
Sailor
928 Posts
A lot depends upon where you store the anchor. If you store it on deck on the roller, the chain should pass straight back through a chain lock and then straight to the deck pipe. I would think it is best to have the opening oriented forward so the chain passes straight down through the opening uninterfered by the lid. Additionally the pipes usually have a slot to allow the lid to close fully with the chain passing through. If you orient it any other way the chain won't follow a direct straight path and may hang up on the open lid during deployment.

Tod

·
Registered
535 Posts
One thing to consider is the shape and the height of the chain locker, and how much rode you have.
If the locker is “triangular” as most, with the hull going upwards, you must orient the pipe so not to have the chain pile up at the deep end and block the pipe.
Chain falls and stays put, forming a pyramid and need to be manually pushed if it blocks the pipe, which could be a pain when retrieving the anchor.
If the chain is led to the “highest” part, it may fall and get tangled, resulting in problems when dropping the anchor.
Visualize the chain falling and piling up where it lands, and then decide where the pipe should end. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback.

I don't have a windlass and the "locker" is just the forward end of the boat (it does not open).

I pretty much never anchor but I still want a functional system.

I wanted to get rid of the old vent even though it has the luxury of rotating because it was heavy as an electric windlass and so tall it was in the way when furling my jib.

Now I wonder if a low profile 3" perko or like plastic cowl vent wouldn't make more sense.

·
19,489 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

I don't have a windlass and the "locker" is just the forward end of the boat (it does not open).

I pretty much never anchor but I still want a functional system.

I wanted to get rid of the old vent even though it has the luxury of rotating because it was heavy as an electric windlass and so tall it was in the way when furling my jib.

Now I wonder if a low profile 3" perko or like plastic cowl vent wouldn't make more sense.
How about just getting a filler cap for the cowl cutout.. or install a snap-in cowl fitting but use the filler cap for that. Advantage is no obstruction on deck and a larger hole than a hawse fitting when you need it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The oval pipe on my boat is oriented athwartships. I think it's so that if you use 2 bow anchors (there are 2 rollers), both rodes can enter the pipe side-by-side, presumably into a divided locker.
There's also a notch on the top rim of the pipe to hold a chain link, and this dictates the orientation of the pipe.
John V.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts