SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade to a bluewater sailboat but want to keep it in the sub 30' range, preferably 27 or 28 feet with an inboard diesel. I'd like a full keel and something that is possibly trailerable since I'm in the military and move often. When I say trailerable I mean demasted and craned on, not floated on. I like the style of the Cape Dory 27s. Even though I'll be doing some serious sailing, i don't need anything bigger than that. Is there anything else out there like that? Thanks for any advice.

·
Crotchety Old Member
910 Posts
Blue water boats in the $10,000 range will be hard to find in any length.

There are other choices out there that are not what you might consider traditional blue water boats, but they are nonetheless capable. It's good to read up on as many blue water travelers and the boats they sailed in as you can.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You might look at a Tartan 27. They are not traditional lblue water boats in the cape dory mold but have done many offshore passages. Also they are a dime a dozen relatively speaking.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
The price point is tough. But some other boats in the size range are the Westsail 28 and Pacific Seacraft Orion 27. In addition to the 27, Cape Dory has a 28' model.

If you don't mind going smaller, a Pacific Seacraft 25 could be more in your price range and might be worth a look. Here is another much more expensive example, but it gives an idea of how they can be spruced up. Note that price includes the tandem trailer.

·
Barquito
3,505 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The $10K budget isn't going to get you a Nor'sea 27 on a trailer. Triple the 10K then you are in the game. Nor'sea's have circumnavigated.

Edit: Do you have at least a 3/4 ton truck to pull the boat?

Reactions: knothead

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would think a pearson Triton or even an Alberg 30, which is trailerable, would work. These boats are plenty strong and most in your price range will need some TLC but it will allow you to do the boat the way you want. Albin Vega 27 seems like a stout boat as well. I personally have an Alberg 30 and I am speaking from the research I did when looking for the same type of boat. These were the boats recommended to me. Check out sailfar.net as well
I did alot of looking and reasearching about my Alberg for under 5k and sailed it home 200nm, yes she needs work but I think the deals are out there.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Ericson 27 (one used to hold the record from San Fransisco to Japan)...I have mine for sale east coast (Rhode Island) ....

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Vancouver 25 : One person's offshore sailboat is another's NOT an offshore boat. Take a look at Mahina website, Atom voyages site, Westerly sailboats, and the book "Upgrading the offshore sailboat" and and other books about offshore, bluewater sailboats. And this unexpected entry; Hunter 27 offshore sailing??? - SailboatOwners.com
Re: Hunter 27 offshore sailing???

If any 27-footer could be safe in heavy seas then a Cherubini 27(Hunter of certain yrs)of a would be that boat. I doubt any 27 was built heavier. Still it was not ever meant as an offshore boat. There is the deck-stepped mast, the plastic windows, and a less than stout steering system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know of Coronado 25's that have transited to Hawaii and further. There are many Catalina 27's that have done serious "blue water" work. If you are in the military and have limited time, I assume that you really mean to do coastal cruising. These boats can be had from $2500 to $10,000. BTW I have been offshore in storms in my Coronado 25 when we were viewing greento clear water out of the windows (we were essentially underwater)... but never blue. Above deck, I really did not notice the colors at the time... Greys.. Greygreen, Whites, foam... no blue.

·
Registered
152 Posts
There is a Westerly Centaur in St. Pete with a deisel in your price range. Listed on sailboatlistings dot com. Not sure where you are but it may be worth a look.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm trying to sell my International Folkboat ;) It's 26ft, a few have gone around the globe. My boat was an inboard but the engine has been removed. Now has an electric start outboard on the back. The boat is in good condition, the sails could use some work. I used them last summer and they work fine but new ones would be great. Also comes with a trailer. Asking $3500, I don't need two boats!

I'd use a lift or crane for getting the boat on the trailer. If you can weld, and afternoons work on the trailer would let you float it off easily. The rear supports are currently too high and aft to do that. A friend and myself raised to mast with a ginpole easy enough, could probably do without the pole i don't think it was helping. When we took the mast down he used the spin halyard, turned around the bowcleat, and lowered the mast while i walked it back. Took 5 minutes.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts