SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so I've been boat shopping. This one wasn't at the top of my list of desired boats, but the owner is a friend who has to get rid of it quick and dropped the price to a third of the asking ($1,500). Seeing as how I'm new to sailing and boat owner ship, I'd like see what you guys thought. It's a bit of a fixer-up, but I'm prepared and actually looking forward to spending time getting her spiffed up.

1971 O-day 22' includes some worn sails and trailer. I'm told the Bottom Paint is somewhat new. The lines are old, but look usable. The boat itself looks like it's been sitting un-touched on the trailer for awhile. Tires are low/flat. The deck really needs paint. There are a few voids on the transom.. and probably 30 other small things need fixing

There is standing water in the cabin. Not a lot, and it appears to be entering through the companionway hatch that isn't very secure. Should be a simple fix (or tarp it)

I noticed this void where the trailer attaches. I assume it's not serious?

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Yup.... appears to be the same boat. The price was negotiated to $1,500.
Based on the description of its condition that MikeAR and now you provided, that seems steep, to me. Others may feel differently.

Like I said in the other thread, more than a dozen years ago someone gave a similar vintage OD22 with working outboard to my brother for FREE. It was in much better condition, but no trailer. They were done with it and wanted it moved.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I looked at that boat recently and felt it was way over-priced at the asking price of $2500.
I saw many problems that needed repair immediately. Much would need to be done before it could get back into the water.
It's the same boat mentioned in my earlier post.

John, I was told by the owner that she had owned it 6 years, sailed it 2 and it had sat outdoors in present condition at least 18 months. She also described the bottom as "recently redone."
There's water entering in more than just the cabin hatch - of course being tongue down exacerbates that.

Schuyler, we're still looking, too. Are you in Arkansas, too?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Oh, there is just about no doubt it is the same boat. There are usually no more than 5 sailboats in the classifieds at any given time here in Arkansas.

My goal is to go sailing, but focused on the Atlantic. I'm finishing up school here and plan to buy a larger boat and hit the Carib after graduation. I'm crewing on some racing boats for experience, and while I need sailing experience, I'm sure I could benefit from maintenance projects as well. However, if it looks like it will be all maintenace and no sailing then I see no point in purchasing it. Just thought I'd run it by SailNet first. Thanks for everyone's input.

Oh, and I was told that it was only sailed twice... not for two years. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
296 Posts
John , look beyond your borders. a short (or long) drive cna net you a good working boat for the right price. I sold my 22 chrysler to a couple in north carolina they drove up to michigan took a look decided it was as I described & bought it. so check yacht world, boat trader & texas sailing , you should be able to find something better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but i recently found out that an early 1970's Oday 22' is for sale in Rogers, AR. I am looking to buy my first boat and i am going to inspect the boat this weekend. I came across this post but it seems the pictures by the OP are no longer visible. I am wondering if the boat im going to look at is the same boat in this post.

The current owner doesnt know the year and has recently been painted and the teak redone. Also said he "took out the head in the cabin for more room"

So, any idea if this is the same boat?

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.