SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking that I may upgrade from my beloved Oday 23; the boat has been great, but I would really like to be able to stand up below and spend more than a few hours aboard in comfort. I'm looking to see if anyone knows of any possibilities that I may have overlooked or just don't know about.

I love the simplicity of my boat: no real systems to maintain or worry about, and I can do all of the maintenance and upkeep myself in relatively short order. I also like to single-hand. All these things lead me to keeping the boat relatively small.

I'd like a boat in the 27-29 foot range, standing headroom, and inboard power. I love the traditional boat look (e.g. Alberg-esque designs), but I do not want a full keel with attached rudder. So, no Pearson Triton. Budget: 15K, preferably less.

The only boat I know of that fits those criteria: Pearson Renegade

To give you a little more context, a few other candidates that I know don't meet my "traditional look" criteria that I am considering are: Catalina 27, Islander 28, Newport 28. But what I really want to know is if there are other traditional looking canditates that I have missed.

Thanks for the help!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,642 Posts
There really is no reason to forsake another Oday... Oday 30 here, not too far south of LI LOL

Reactions: jimgo

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,072 Posts
All the boats mentioned above are good candidates, but have you thought about going just one notch bigger? Getting a boat in the 30-32 foot range opens up a lot more long term cruising possibilities without introducing much more complexity or challenges in sailing. And there are some great deals out there!

1982 Morgan 32 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

(I have no connection to the above linked ad....just offering it as a possibility)

·
19,485 Posts

·
Barquito
3,757 Posts
I do not want a full keel with attached rudder.
Hey! I resemble that remark! Going in a predictable direction in reverse is over-rated.

As you can see from my boat (Bristol 27), getting standing headroom in a 27' boat sometimes takes putting a pretty tall doghouse up there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had an Oday 23 for many years and loved it too. Sometimes even wish I still had it since the lake I'm on is down due to the drought. I traded up to an Islander 30. Tons more room and creature features. Doesn't sail as well in light winds as the 23 ft did and requires deeper water but that is expected in any larger boat.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the boats mentioned above are good candidates, but have you thought about going just one notch bigger? Getting a boat in the 30-32 foot range opens up a lot more long term cruising possibilities without introducing much more complexity or challenges in sailing. And there are some great deals out there!

1982 Morgan 32 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

(I have no connection to the above linked ad....just offering it as a possibility)
I did consider going to that next step up, but I hesitate. Maybe I just need more experience with a boat that size to be comfortable. That Morgan is really nice! Thanks.!

Hmmmmmmm...........

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey! I resemble that remark! Going in a predictable direction in reverse is over-rated.

As you can see from my boat (Bristol 27), getting standing headroom in a 27' boat sometimes takes putting a pretty tall doghouse up there.
Yeah, that backing up thing really spooks me. I like to relax when sailing, not be white knuckled before I even get the sails up. I'm not wild about all that extra wetted area slowing me down either.

And I like the look of the big doghouse! Like I said, the lines of the Triton really do it for me; by natural extension, the old Bristols too.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts