SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking that I may upgrade from my beloved Oday 23; the boat has been great, but I would really like to be able to stand up below and spend more than a few hours aboard in comfort. I'm looking to see if anyone knows of any possibilities that I may have overlooked or just don't know about.

I love the simplicity of my boat: no real systems to maintain or worry about, and I can do all of the maintenance and upkeep myself in relatively short order. I also like to single-hand. All these things lead me to keeping the boat relatively small.

I'd like a boat in the 27-29 foot range, standing headroom, and inboard power. I love the traditional boat look (e.g. Alberg-esque designs), but I do not want a full keel with attached rudder. So, no Pearson Triton. Budget: 15K, preferably less.

The only boat I know of that fits those criteria: Pearson Renegade

To give you a little more context, a few other candidates that I know don't meet my "traditional look" criteria that I am considering are: Catalina 27, Islander 28, Newport 28. But what I really want to know is if there are other traditional looking canditates that I have missed.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the boats mentioned above are good candidates, but have you thought about going just one notch bigger? Getting a boat in the 30-32 foot range opens up a lot more long term cruising possibilities without introducing much more complexity or challenges in sailing. And there are some great deals out there!

1982 Morgan 32 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

(I have no connection to the above linked ad....just offering it as a possibility)
I did consider going to that next step up, but I hesitate. Maybe I just need more experience with a boat that size to be comfortable. That Morgan is really nice! Thanks.!

Hmmmmmmm...........

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey! I resemble that remark! Going in a predictable direction in reverse is over-rated.

As you can see from my boat (Bristol 27), getting standing headroom in a 27' boat sometimes takes putting a pretty tall doghouse up there.
Yeah, that backing up thing really spooks me. I like to relax when sailing, not be white knuckled before I even get the sails up. I'm not wild about all that extra wetted area slowing me down either.

And I like the look of the big doghouse! Like I said, the lines of the Triton really do it for me; by natural extension, the old Bristols too.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 4 of 4 Posts